Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Sand Pit Covers

Hello everyone

We're making a big sandpit in our garden. It will be about 5m x 4m. Can anyone suggest the best way to cover it? We're not worried about keeping the sand dry, but just keeping animals out and keeping it reasonably clean and safe! A solid cover is going to be too big and heavy to use, I think. Is there a better alternative to a tarpaulin weighted down?

Thanks

Beehive

I have a JCB tyre as a sandpit and use a sheet of clear heavy duty plastic (Wickes) to which my lovely hubby has attached wooden batons at each edge.... has been in use for 2 summers and 2 winters now and still keeping the sand clean and dry. (It's kept the sand drier than any cover or lid that I've bought with previous, often expensive, sandpits)

The batons allow part of the cover to be folded back to allow the condensation to clear without having to uncover the whole area. I give the sand a clean with sterilising fluid every 4-6 weeks and allow it to dry out - rather that than have to replace the 150kg of sand it took to half fill it;)

Nona

Glad you asked, Beehive. we're in a similar position & are making do with a large tarpaulin for now. I've often wondered what happens in nurseries that have huge sanpit areas like you see in some of the centres of excellence.

We visited one such place last year and they said they didn't cover theirs at all!

I just looked online at a company who makes custom made tarpaulins with bungee cords to attach to the sand pit. I entered the dimensions and the grade of tarp we wanted and the quote came back...at £472 plus delivery!!!

Think we'll be doing a bit of DIY!

Beehive

I give the sand a clean with sterilising fluid every 4-6 weeks and allow it to dry out - rather that than have to replace the 150kg of sand it took to half fill it;)

Nona

Hi Nona. What sort of sterilising fluid do you use? I presume you dilute it and just pour it on the sand............do you use much?

Hi Nona. What sort of sterilising fluid do you use? I presume you dilute it and just pour it on the sand............do you use much?

Good old Milton's!!! I make up as directed in a watering can, apply and rake through... I also use it in the bubble fountain and water feature in the garden in case anyone tries to use it as a drinking fountain :o

Mrs O liked the system and the thinking behind it!

Nona

Good old Milton's!!! I make up as directed in a watering can, apply and rake through... I also use it in the bubble fountain and water feature in the garden in case anyone tries to use it as a drinking fountain :o

Mrs O liked the system and the thinking behind it!

Nona

Thanls for that Nona. xD