Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Guided Reading In Yr R

Could someone anyone please confirm if we are required to do guided reading in YR. I have been on a course for moderation and it would appear that practice varies widely. I met R teachers who do not take groups for guided reading. I thought we were legally required to by the end of the R year. What are other peoples thoughts?

I do guided reading in reception (a bit hit and miss though) as there is an emphasis on it through school. I tend to build it up more frequently through the summer term. Not sure whether its a legal requirement though. As I understand it (I could be wrong) there is not a legal requirement as the literacy stategy isnt statutory its the foundation stage curriculum that is as is the National Curriculum for English.

Hope I am not giving you false info I am now off to check it out!!!

I am required to do guided reading with my children (in addition to the home readers) in addition children also do individual reading! We have good reading materials called Rigby Star and Rigby Rocket which are very bright and colourful and are v. Reception friendly. the session is very short, compared to rest of school.

nicnic you will find the practice varies wildly as you will find in other aspects of the curriculum too. Most of our curriculum and the way we choose to deliver it is a matter of interpretataion. Literacy and Numeracy strategies are not statutory although many schools think they are. The national curriculum is, although we now have much more flexibilty as to what we consider matters in our own schools. So guided reading is also not statutory, it is up to your school, your literacy coordinator and your Foundation coordinator to agree what practice you will follow.

have you seen the other discussion currently happening about this if you want to read differing views about the pros and cons of guided reading?

I agree with that one Mundia!

Nicnic, it is not a legal requirement to do Guided Reading but I believe it has a place in the reception classroom and have actually enjoyed delivering this part of the literacy strategy!

However, you will need to be guided by your school and if you are required to do this but feel it is inappropriate for your children for some reason then perhaps you could explore this to find a way that suits you all. As I have said in the other topic, I adapted the model in NLS to suit me and my children. I also found it useful to think of this as book/ reading skills for planning.

Good luck.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)