Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Ba/eyps Via Distance Learning

I have posted on this before but think my topic title didn't spell out what I needed so one more bash!!!

Not sure I can face another round of dealing with tutors for various reasons!!! So am wading through the options for doing my BA/Hons and eyps via distance learning.

Does anyone have any recommendations or institutes to avoid like the plague? And any input on experiances of distance learning to act as a guide???

Hi moo, have you considered the open university for your degree, although I'm not sure about EYPs. Sheffield is the only place that does an early years masters by distance,which Im looking into, but don't know if they do a first degree that way too..might be worth asking.

Im just wondering what your reasons are, if its just about tutors, then you would still have them by distance too!

My reasons are simply that I don't drive and there isn't anything local to me that specializes in early years.

I wonder if noone answered your previous query because noone knows of any?

SO shall we wait and see if anyone has any better ideas?

Quite possibly!!!

I am reluctant to take time out of the setting as when I do something seems to go t*** up! This is a seperate issue obviously!

I wouk 8.30-6.30 most of the week, and a couple of hours at home on top of that, and most weekends too as I know we all do at times!!! I'm in my final year and it's Thursday 4-9pm, yawn! By this time I've had enough of the week as it is and then have to drive to college too! I've also just been diagnosed with colitis which means doing it from home will be easier for me!

And I agree tutors are tutors everywhere but at the moment am being 'taught' by NVQ tutors which is a bit challeging!

I am currently doing my BA Hons Early Childhood Studies via distance learning through London Met Uni.

It's quite challenging but on the whole not too bad if I look at it objectively!!

I guess any option will have it's issues and still be hard work!!! Can you give me an insight on how it all works...have had a look online but nothing like an insider veiw!

For me, we have a distance learning tutor who we can phone/email if we have any questions. The onus is very much on us to contact her - she doesn't "offer up" any help.

When I first started we got our module books posted to us to work through but they have now gone online and we dont get a hard copy. I find it really difficult to read on screen and not be able to highlight/make notes by the text etc so I end up printing the booklet out which is usually around 200 pages!!

We get a module book to read through which has little reflective tasks throughout each chapter and one bigger task at the end of each section. There is then an assignment at the end of the module. This is something like an essay, a leaflet, child study etc.

Hope that give you a little more info. Just ask if there are any more specific questions!

If you want an Early Years Management degree rather than an Early Years degree I cannot recommend the BA(Hons) in Early Years Management delivered by Liverpool Hope Uni enough. I has tokk me 4 years part time and distance learning to complete but it was just fab!!

Started off with the Foundation Degree then topped up to the BA(Hons). The tutors were brilliant very very helpful and supportive as were other students doing the same course. I don't know how the OU works but with this there's a group of you that you start and finish the course with; you are split into groups and work in those groups to prepare power points, reports you also do individual reports, essays etc.

If you are interested then give it a Google; there are a few of us on here that have done it!!

Good luck

Thank you both, very helpful. I've stumbled across both! The management degree sounds interesting,,,hmmm, pretty much decision time again! I think I might veer towards the course you've done Janny, I very much fell into management and love it, despite the pay workload and my constant moaning!!! Never had any management experience or training though! I don't think there are many sectors like ours where this happens so much!

Luckily I've had a great support network and like research! Would you do your EYPS alongside? I might have another look today, after I've finished this blooming assignment!!!

Hi When I did the management degree they weren't running EYPS alongside it at that time; however it was something they were looking to offer in the future so might be worth giving them a call to see what they are doing now (I graduated last summer). If you do decide to go with this one I promise you you won't regret it! I even actually miss it!!! And I've made life long friends with those who were on the course with me!

I did my EYPS with North West Early Years Transformation Group, which includes Liverpool Hope and University of Chester (where I went ) I only went to 2 or 3 tutorials apart from the actual 4 or 5 preparation days.

Liverpool Hope seem to be more or organised than Chester. (is that diplomatic enough?)

Good Luck with whatever you choose.

Jean

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)