Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Indoor Nursery Garden

Guest gemmafaith

Guest gemmafaith

Hi,

The Nursery I work at has a small outdoor garden, but due to planning restrictions the children are not allowed outside at certain times of the day

Inside the nursery, we have a big sports hall which is under used (currently used for for bikes and physical games etc)

I am thinking about developing the room into a indoor nursery garden (as I have heard of other nurseries doing this)

I wondered if anyone else has come across anything similar?

I would love any ideas, as to what you thin would be appropriate to include?

Thank you

I think the idea of a garden area inside is a lovely one.

I've worked in settings that have a nature table, this could be expanded to a nature 'area'. I don't know what sort of budget you have available, but I've always thought that a small tree (that would survive inside) would be great to create the basis of a lovely calm area - The bottom area of the container could be planted up also. introduce nature books, things could be hung from it etc.

How about a large shallow container which could hold a couple of grass turfs that have been sprinkled with wild flower seeds ? I think these would need to spend some time outside to ensure their survival however.

I'm always looking out for vessels, to hold twigs with buds and small branches, that are not glass - charity shops are good for this. Could include trays of different gathered grasses, leaves, moss etc for children to be creative with (would need modelling initially). Lots of potted plants which the children could water, measure the growth, observe changes.

A wormery, ant farm and found dead minibeasts in small transparent containers with a microscope and magnifying glasses.

Of course a risk assessment which included a check that all plants were safe for children.

Love to hear more ideas.

We have large plant in our pre-school. They are dotted all around setting. I normally buy them from ikea when on offer. They are touched a lot by the children and they give a nice look to the setting. We pack away daily so they have to withstand a lot of movement.

We also bring in large logs/cut down trees for areas the children love exploring them, sometimes little bugs come in too.

Sue

Edited by Bigsue

Guest gemmafaith

Thank you for your ideas so far :)

One idea I have is to use old tyres and fill them up with bark/wood chip etc

Another idea is to create an indoor seasons/sensory tree (but how this would actual look or be designed is still just an idea at the moment)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)