Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Outdoor Role Play

We are about to change the role play area outside. We will be asking the children for their ideas and what they would like but I just wanted to ask what is working well in other people's settings.

We had a flood over Christmas and our home corner furniture started to rot along the bottom (as it was wooden) but rather than bin it directly we took it outside so we have a home corner out there too for a little while!!

The children do seem to enjoy this!!

They can go visit friends from their own house (the new home corner!!)

They also like cafes outdoors, dens, builders yard, fire station....... it just depends where their imaginations take them!!!

Hi lots of den making equipment, discoverery toys, binoculars, tape measures, mark making tools, weaving. Our children love to dig, we take everything out throughout the term. We also take the musical instruments out on a mat they loved this.

Let the children take the lead and add resources as you go. :o

Have fun. xD

The most popular I've ever had was a garage and car wash. It was set up next to the bike track so that they could drive straight in. We had a reception area with a phone, till, diary etc, mechanic's tools and bowls of soapy water and sponges. It might be a bit cold for this one yet tho, prob best to wait til summer.

Hi lots of den making equipment, discoverery toys, binoculars, tape measures, mark making tools, weaving. Our children love to dig, we take everything out throughout the term. We also take the musical instruments out on a mat they loved this.

Let the children take the lead and add resources as you go. :(

Have fun. :(

Very Similar to bridger, musical instruments work so much better outside (saves my ear drums :o )

Today I cementing washing line extentention poles into buckets to aid in our den making activities, hubbie doesn't know I went out and got ready mix cement yesterday. Hope I don't make too much mess in our garden or he will kill me xD

haven't worked out how I am getting them to work yet??? hopeing son and hubbie will help me!!! I could of asked them to do it but want to do it myself as a sense of satisfaction, and at least it takes me away from this FD TMA 6 errrrr hating it at mo!

Sue

I made a 'pier'!!

We had stalls and games going down the pier and the children picked up sticks they had found and used them as fishing rods to 'fish' off the end of the pier. They enjoyed it so much we ended up buying a fishing game for them to use.

Can't remember exactly what we had but it was things like: an ice cream stall; a 'treats' stall (where you could buy candy floss, doughnuts, etc), a shop where you could buy buckets and spades, etc; puppet show; fish and chips.

Some of the games we had were things like throwing a beanbag in a hoop; ten pin bowling; we also used our slides/sea-saw toys in a 'fairground rides' section

On the games the children 'won' one of the nursery teddies so that it was just like at the real pier

We also used our sandpit for the beach and a big sheet of blue material for the sea

It was lots of effort to set up but the children made all the props and decorations. And they absolutely loved it, we had it out for ages :o

The "Whatever you want it to be" area. Containers of materials, managable planks of wood, things to connect materials: clips/ elastic/string/various tapes, tubes/flexi tube, cones,clip boards/paper/pencils/crayons, boxes etc etc. Large 'community playthings' type blocks are great for supporting this.

Children not used to this concept may need a little bit of role modelling to be them going, then away they go. Could make a lovely display/Book showing photos of different creations annotated with the children's comments, this should encourage further creations.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)