Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Favourite Reference Books?

Ok, we are about to receive our insurance settlement for the burst pipes at our setting, and will have the opportunity to replace many books that were lost to water damage. Whilst we were looking at our list , we realised that some of our staff resources are rather ancient, so wish to update. So, if you had, say, up to £100 to spend, which books would you buy for a staff resource........and why?

A good and up to date level 3 NVQ text book - not only helps your NVQ candidates but is really useful for students and just as a general refresher of all sorts of topics.

A book about observation - detailing types and how to carry out good observations , it's something we all need to do extremely well but again is only a small part of childcare courses and often you need to revisit things that maybe you haven't used for a while.

the set of three books about theorists ( think they are by Linda Pound) Easy to read and comprehensive, also can be used by all levels of student for reference .

A book about schemas and one about hueristic play .

Think I may have spent most of your money for you now Narnia! :o

All of the above are brilliant!

I really like Essential Early Years, and the 'big green book', Diploma in Early Years??? is great, easy to read but quite in depth.

Planning Play in the Early Years is great too!

Could go on for ever, I guess a good range from Level 2-Degree and some good practice based texts for more specific aspects.

Something about emotional intelligence, not Goleman! I have a practitioner friendly one somewhere. I think studying this really influenced my practice.

so, why not Goleman..........................and which one is it thatyou DO recommend?

I think I remember finding Goleman's books a bit intimidating! I have Developing emotionally literate staff - a practical guide by Elizabeth Morris and Julie Casey. But on rediscovering it, it might not be 'the one' you need!!

http://www.shopping.com/developing-emotion...zmfftxwQ==/info

Marion Dowling's book on Children's Personal, Social and Emotional Development is excellent.

The Linda Pound books on How Children Learn are great for distilling the work of theorists and how they inform practice.

Oh and if you've got lots of money to spend, Sally Thomas' Nurturing Babies and Children Under Four is a great training resource, including videos.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)