Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Help! Rapunzel Ideas....

Hi everyone

We are currently trying to plan from the children's interest...the past few weeks a large number of children have been role playing 'Rapunzel' or should I say 'Tangled' - both boys and girls have been really involved!

We decided to go with this - after the half term - and will probably go along the fairy / traditional tale route to begin and see where the children take us.

Sat down to do my planning and I am having a brain freeze - has anybody got any great ideas relating to Rapunzel??

Thanks in advance!!!

I saw an alternative version of Rapunzel the other day where the focus was on her hair!

Sorry, I might be having a blond moment, but I don't understand! :o

As for ideas, I suppose the story lends itself to measuring/length and the building of towers.

Sorry, I might be having a blond moment, but I don't understand! :o

I'm sorry Jane, I just mean that the Rapunzel version I remember, Rapunzel's father goes into the witch's garden and 'steals' some vegetables or something and as a punishment for his crime the witch demands that he hands over his first born child to her, which he does, they then watch from their garden as the little girl grows up and becomes beautiful blah blah blah, but they do get re-united in the end I suppose,

with Hansel and Gretel, the children are abandoned by their parents who trick them into the forest and leave them there because they are too poor to look after them themselves. I just don't like that type of story xD

Edited by Panders

I made a Rapunzel display once, - drew a large Rapunzel but had her hair as plaited yellow crepe paper. It was very long, as the board was high and it nearly touched the floor. Anyways, the children liked to watch me plait the paper and some tried it. You could show them how to plait and turn it into a weaving activity?

I had the Ladybird Rapunzel book - the witch had bright orange hair and was so scary, I remember skipping those pages with the witch, but still loved the story.

In the "original" she is indeed given to the witch as punishment when the father steals Rapunzel lettuce for his pregnant wife. The prince gets her pregnant with twins, the witch pushes him out of the tower and he is blinded by falling into a thorn bush. After years of distressed wandering the pair are reunited and Rapunzel's tears cure his blindness.

fantastic Rapunzel wig in TESCO at mo' - really long!

Pringle crisp tubes make fab towers - plaited wool for hair?

Our Y2 teacher sealed off her classroom door with 'witch tape' to keep children from helping out Rapunzel - they could make 'scare the witch' music to get rid of her for a bit?

Good luck!

Jenni

Well I know the bit about the Prince being blinded by the thorn bush - but, if I'm reading this right, the prince impregnates Rapunzel with twins???? Goodness me, what a cad! So Rapunzel's father stole a lettuce (I remember lettuces) for his pregnant wife - what a healthy craving!

I'd like to read the original of these fables - I understand that the Little Mermaid isn't all sweetness and light!

I'm off to Tesco to get me a wig!

I don't think he is a cad - he soends all those years searching.

I hate the Little Mermaid - she has to give up her voice to get her legs, so the prince never falls ion love with her becuase he can't speak to her. So she dies!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)