Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Community Playthings

I am thinking of buying some wooden blocks from Community Playthings. There are up to 26 children present at a time and we are a pack away setting. I have two storage rooms/cupboards and like a lot of people, every inch counts!!!!

During half term I intend going in to have a real sort out (staff won't believe me as iI am a bit of a hoarder) One of the cupboards is up 4 steps - which is a problem but the other one, which is smaller is on the same level as the Pre-school. In the smaller cupboard we have to put the heavy things like the climbing frame, wheeled units and trolleys, etc.

I would like the large blocks that we can use on the floor.

Is the Introductory set enough? Bearing in mind not all 26 children will play with it at the same time - how many children do you think are able to play with them at one time?

Is it better to have hollow blocks? Can children stand on the hollow blocks (I assume they can)

If anyone is able to advise me then I would be really pleased as I would like to make a decision fairly soon.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Sue J

It might be an idea to have a look on the Community Playthings website, they have a few documents on block play and also a video you can watch. That might help you.

I have three sets one in a cart with a lid on, one open sided cart for small hollow blocks and the big box for the large hollow blocks; I would find it hard to choose which one set to recommend as they are the most used resource in my nursery so I guess it would really be down to the space you do have to store them in. Each cart has sturdy wheels.

What ever you choose I am sure your children will have hours of fun!! Enjoy!!

If you can only afford one, then go for the preschool set of blocks.................... I wouldn't be without mine.You can add the hollow blocks as you go. Also, I have just discovered that if you are a member of YPO catalogue, you can get 2% discount off all CP orders. Not a lot, but every single penny helps

oh and yes, the children ( and adults !) can stand on the hollow blocks

Edited by narnia

I ordered the pre-school set of hollow blocks on thursday and had an email to say they will be here tomorrow so will let you know how we get on! I couldn't decide whether to get the unit blocks first but decided that as we already had various types of blocks including lots of natural ones we'd go for the hollow ones as they were totally different :)

We just got a third set of CP blocks......

We have a set in a lidded box on wheels, a set of hollow blocks (but no storage) and now a set (via capital funding) in a box with two trays on top for more blocks!!!!

All are wonderful and the children love them!!

Enjoy your blocks, but with our hollow blocks came long planks................ these tend to be where the injuries arise............ beware!!! :o

Well our children had a fab time with the hollow blocks this afternoon, they made walkways with ramps and steps and generally had a whale of a time! We did show them you could build 'things' so together we made a racing car and a ship. we hunted together for something we could use as a wheel.

I hadn't realised how BIG they were and yes the long planks are very long. I'm sure we are going to have so much fun with them.

Oh and the smell of them - gorgeous!!!!

I took some photos so I'll upload those later :)

Thank you for your replies. I am still not quite sure which bricks to get - I WOULD LIKE TWO SETS - ONE ORDINARY AND ONE HOLLOW - but don't have room to store them. You have given me food for thought - Thank you very much :o

Sue J

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)