Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Journeys Planning

Guest laura286

Guest laura286

Hi all,

I am being super keen on a Saturday afternoon and trying to get my planning done for next term. Have decided on the topic Journeys, however I have never taught this before so looking for some brilliant ideas to get me started?

Laura :o

Hi Laura

I wonder where your idea of journeys has come from? You could begin by asking chidlren what jorneys they do, long and short, they may not think of walk to school as a journey for example.

You might like to introduce a travelling bear that they take home each night and have an accompanying book where they/and parents can record its journeys.

You could plan short visits eg the local shop, post office, a ride on a bus or train.

You could use a map of the world to show where children come from/have family/go on holiday (as applicable to your school)

Winnie the witch stories are great..you can journey by broomstick or magic carpet! Mr gumpys outing, going on a bear hunt; handa's surprise; the shopping basket, and one of my favourite books in there whole world ,,nothing (mick inkpen) are all about journeys.

You could make magc carpets, broomsticks, boats, cars, role play travel agents or bus station.

The scope for ths is enormous, so be preapred to have a few ides but see where the children take you (a journey of discovery all on its own!)

My class are doing some journeys stuff next week - without me cos I'm signed off at the moment :o - it's following on from a lot of Gruffalo work we've done (sort of led into it after they explored their wood in our outdoor area - bit random but hey!)

My TA is going to go on a journey with small groups - kind of taking the lead from them, inside, outside, round school, anywhere as long as it's in school grounds, talking about what they can see/what they pass on the way, and recording a list. Then later on they will paint pictures of their journeys - am assuming some children will paint 'a picture' of something they saw on their journey, some will paint 'a picture' with lots of things they saw, and some will paint more of a storymap - will be interestiing to see how they 'see' a journey.

Later in week they're going to do journeys with Beebot, and also use bricks to make tracks/roads and move the remote control bugs along the tracks.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)