Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Multi Cultural Kitchen Play

What I did was to get rid of my indoor plastic play kitchen and replace it with a small wooden table outside with some safe hooks in the wall above it and to the side of it.

I source multicultual 'real' food from Tesco (bung a few extra interesting items in my trolley when I do my family shop!).

The children can then use empty e.g. cocoa, veg stock containers and real pasta, porride, fruit, veg and any other foodstuffs I can find to do their own 'cooking'. Real textures and smells and tastes!

Hi, We bought small balti dishes from Tesco for our role play area. Plastic chopsticks and small Chinese soup dishes with spoons are good too.

Some school catalogues stock small multicultural cooking equipment and plastic food items but they are often pricey. Sometimes I think the quality of their pots and pans are not always robust enough for busy nurseries.

ELC pizza sets are good quality and reasonably priced.

Empty containers from the supermarket are good to use and can easily be replaced eg. rice packets, plastic sauce bottles, spice containers etc.

We have cut up lengths of chunky string for noodles and shredded green tissue paper for our Chinese restaurant before.

Hope this helps :o

For group use it's best to buy 'real' sets of pans etc. far more sturdy and are far more authentic than toy ones. We even have a proper kettle (just cut the wire off) and a real toaster. Smartprice stuff is great on a budget!...or notice up for freebie

Thanks for the tips. Difficulty is we have to buy from suppliers - no petty cash etc.

There has to be a market out there for quality real life multi cultural resources!

I will try to be even more careful with my rubbish on what i can use for that area!

• 1 month later...

I'm glad I found this topic, I'm looking at making our kitchen role-play more multi-cultural and have been looking for items to buy for my nursery.

Do most people recommend buying the real thing? (obviously not expemsive ones) - I was worried that the real things e.g. a wok would be too big.

Edited by Guest

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)