Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Social Networking Policy For Parents

I'm sorry.. but how can you expect to control what people do in their own lives... what they do 'social networking' is their responsibility and I do think we have no rights to tell them how to conduct themselves.. they are responsible adults and not matter what you put in any policy there is no way you will be able to enforce it.

As a parent I would rebel at being told what is acceptable or not in my private life.. and apart form confidentiality I do feel the same for staff..

Sorry to not have explained more clearly.

I think we need something in place though for parents taking photos at events and then uploading them on such sites. I was at a serious case review meeting yesterday and the matter was raised then. Unfortunately I didn't get the contact details of one of the ladies attending but she had had a case where by a parent had took photos at a party with other children in them and uploaded them. She said it was very difficult to get her to take them off the site despite.

My parents are happy for others to take photos at events etc, we always check but it is a completely different matter when they are being uploaded onto social networking sites without your say and as a parent I would take my concerns back to the setting. I am trying to prevent something happening here and feel something needs to be in place.

My husband who is on a governing body of a primary school recentky recieved a pack from our local council about the said same thing and it turns out that you cannot dictate to anyone what they do in thier private lives but can have a say to staff in that they do not use socialnetworking sites during work time and confidentiality.

I have just dug out the pack and you can get info from their website www.naht.org.uk. hope this helps . It has me as I manage a preschool and have the same issues.

I understand the staff and busy drafting one up, know my staff wouldn't do it but better to be safer than sorry.

Its the uploading photos from events without parents knowing that needs to be addressed here just to cover our backs

we have had the same issue and so have the primary school.

We have said that you can take pictures of your child but as we all know you will get other children in the photo at some point. Again you cannot state that they may not put that photo on thier facebook page. Just advise that they may wish to restrict viewing of the photos to friends and not the whole of facebook.

We had this issue in our setting very recently - one of our children is being adopted and to ensure anonymity whilst the adoption is going through (and the potential for their birth parents to trace them) we are not allowed to post photos/videos of the child in question on any websites, etc.

We had our Christmas Performance last term, which obviously the parents would want to photograph/video. However, with the joys of social networking and families wanting to share these special moments with distant relatives, we knew the possibility of this child's photograph/video being posted was possible. After discussions with our HT, when we sent out the letter informing the parents of the Christmas Performance dates/times, we attached a permission slip requesting their permission for videos/photos to be taken, on the understanding that we (and other parents) would appreciate it if the photographs/videos were not distributed on any social networking websites (such as Facebook, etc), regardless of their privacy settings. If any parent did not give their permission, then no videos/photos were to be taken. All parents/carers gave their permission.

Of course, this doesn't guarantee that parents *won't* put the photos/videos up on Facebook, but hopefully us mentioning it directly in a letter will make some of them think twice before they do so. I know I can sleep a bit easier knowing that I've done as much as I can in terms of this, without spoiling opportunities for parents to capture moments of their little ones. I hope this helps someone?

Rosey x

Edited by Rosey

Hi everyone,

I feel that it doesn't even occur to some parents about overstepping the mark when uploading photos onto networking sites. We have had a few issues with parents. One uploading photos and the other offloading about her child (who had fallen when playing outside and had scratched his face....something on the lines of 'if his face scars I will f*****g sue them!).

We are looking at pulling something together like a 'code of conduct' policy for users of the setting...respecting others views, mindful of confidentiality etc. has anyone already this type of policy for parents and staff?