Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Early Years, Not Politics

Not sure how much more I can take of this, and not many places I can get things off my chest so here goes!!!!!

Took over as manager of private (limited co. with charitable status) pre-school 18 months ago. I started in 2006 as a volunteer to help my daughter settle and went on from there really and took on the role to cover maternity in the first instance, pretty much because nobody applied for the post!

Have worked around the clock to put in place systems that bring the setting up to a standard that the team and I are proud of and continue to review practice and make changes constantly in an effort to ensure we really are providing the best we can for the children and families we have.

I have faced some incredible and far from anticipated challenges, some down to previous management cock ups, awkward parents, OFSTED and staffing issues to name but a few! And quite frankly am blooming pleased with myself for getting this far!!! Some of the systems I've implemented have been roled out across the authority, I've been asked to do presentations at training and get regular emails from the LEA asking for policies, planning examples etc that can be shared with other settings as best practice.

As an area however it feels like just as one thing is thrown at us another rug is pulled from under us. Besides the Free Flexible Entitlement, EYQISP and single funding formula changes, our LEA is also moving from a three to a two tier system. The process, although apparently transparent and consultive, has left us hanging in the balance for nearly two years now. We've kind of learnt to live with uncertainty of where we're going and when. Different departments tell me different things, managers briefings consist of various LA directors spoon feeding us a load of flanel about how great we are before delivering the next body blow with no firm answers being provided to our questions, and so it goes on.

Today I was called to a meeting with the head (we're on site of a primary set to move to nieghbouring middle school site) who informed me that the school is one out of four primarys in the area being considered for closure due to the sufficency audit. This is on top of the fact that we are having to fund the move and refurbishment of the new premises with no hope of support or grants, no idea or info regarding when we are moving and despite best efforts no communication back from those in charge who's aim in life seems to be avoiding all contact!

They are also in the process of laying off our development workers, without who I don't think i would have survived, and it would seem there is absolutely bugger all we can do about any of it.

Am so frustrated, just feels like I spend more and more time trying to fight for what I believe in, which ultimately takes me away from what is really important and seems fruitless in impact. I just want to focus on making us the best we can be but feel like I'm drowning in a sea of bureaucracy and hypocrisy!

Has anyone else had these issues to deal with, and if so some success stories would be great because right now it feels that I'm just banging my head against a brick wall :o

Sorry, I know I've wittered on, time to open the wine mw thinks!

Wow! All I can say is that your personal skill set must be immense, and clearly this has been a process of personal growth and professional development. Whatever happens next, you will be successful as a result.

Best wishes.

I don't post often but had to reply to your post as I really empathise with you! I feel I've worked really hard in my setting( a not-for-profit limited company) but things are very uncertain at the moment e.g. with regard to free entitlement funding from April. It is quite scary that so many settings have closed or plan to close soon.

One thing this job has taught me over the last few years is to be proud of any achievements however small and to pick my battles. But I would love politicians and senior people from local authorities to try doing what we do, even for one week!

Best Wishes

Well I'm probably not the best person to ask, since I've made the decision to close. Can I ask a couple of questions?

What do you mean by a two- or three-tier system? You say it has left your group hanging in the balance, but I'm not sure I understand what that means in practice.

Have you spoken to your local councillors to explain your fears and ask them what they can do to support you? Like you, I fear that many groups will be facing as fundamental issues, if not exactly like the ones you're facing now and I worry about the number of groups that will be forced to close under the weight of funding and other problems. The fact that development workers/advisors are bein laid off exacerbates the problem because you know you won't have the support you need in the future.

The positive thing that shines out of your post is just how much you have developed over those years since you pitched up at pre-school with your daughter. Whatever the future holds for your group, it sounds to me as if you have a wealth of experience and knowledge to offer. I know that doesn't give you any answers, but I'm not sure I would know where to find them.

What do you mean by a two- or three-tier system? You say it has left your group hanging in the balance, but I'm not sure I understand what that means in practice.

I only know that in my area there are a lot of preschools hanging in the balance as regards to their future viability.

We have a three tier school system

Primary 5-9yrs

Middle 9-13

Upper 13 -18

School intakes are only in september of each year and when you move 'up' you have to have had the relevant birthday -gosh does that makes sense?? you have to be 9 to go to middle school and 13 to go to upper school

but the education system is changing to a two tier system 5-11 and 11-18

The practicalities of this are which sites are going to be used for which schools? Many sites will be sold off so for example our local small primary school would not be able to accommodate the large increase in children and no room for building expansion so will probably be sold off. The primary children will move to a new site with the 9-11 yr olds from the middle school,

In all this building allocation it is highly possible that a school move will not be able to accommodate the preschools currently in their grounds, whether part of the school or operating independantly on the school site

Thanks for your supportive comments. I do feel like I've learnt so much , haven't had much choice and I appreciate the oppotunity! But I've cut my teeth on this place so I guess it will always be personal!

The authority is moving from two to three tier system, i.e. from primary (yr R-yr 4), middle (yr 5-8) and High school to Primary and High, the system that I know all authorities have been using for years.

The reasoning behind this is sound, the management of reforming an authorities entire educational system is clearly a nightmare!

Although this huge task is primarily concerened with the wider system the impact on those of us on school sites is massive as many are having to relocate to accomadate year 6 in primary.

The party line is (and I quote) "Our duty as LA is to provide statutory schooling (yr R and up) and this is where our priorities lie". This has been chucked at us for the last two years now and is getting boring! The whole thing is just a huge balls up, and despite Early Years "remaining a government priority" this is not being felt at ground level.

I know of settings on school sites where the primary has to move and there is simply no room to accomadate the early years provision. Local press is reporting none of these issues or the redundencies within the early years team, it's a joke.

I only know that in my area there are a lot of preschools hanging in the balance as regards to their future viability.

We have a three tier school system

Primary 5-9yrs

Middle 9-13

Upper 13 -18

School intakes are only in september of each year and when you move 'up' you have to have had the relevant birthday -gosh does that makes sense?? you have to be 9 to go to middle school and 13 to go to upper school

but the education system is changing to a two tier system 5-11 and 11-18

The practicalities of this are which sites are going to be used for which schools? Many sites will be sold off so for example our local small primary school would not be able to accommodate the large increase in children and no room for building expansion so will probably be sold off. The primary children will move to a new site with the 9-11 yr olds from the middle school,

In all this building allocation it is highly possible that a school move will not be able to accommodate the preschools currently in their grounds, whether part of the school or operating independantly on the school site

Gezabel, sounds like we're in the same boat,,,,if not same authority!!!

Crossed threads there but you put it much better than me, possibly as the wine is now drunk!!! Do you know of any settings that are taking a more pro-active approach? Just fed up with feeling so rail-roaded.

OOOh! only ever known two tiered system! With 11+ thrown in for good measure!

Yes Panders, I grew up in this system in Dorset! It is the norm, our authority seems to take it's time playing catch up; from CAF to Progress Matters we seem to be a fair bit behind!!! Saying that our data shows us as an authority we are above the national average, we're normaly told this about two minutes from being stabbed in the back by their latest cock up.

The party line is (and I quote) "Our duty as LA is to provide statutory schooling (yr R and up) and this is where our priorities lie".

Don't LAs also have a statutory duty to ensure that there is sufficient high quality childcare to meet local demand? :o

Of course I did understand what a two-tier and three-tier system was, I just hadn't heard it called that before. We in Maidenhead have the two-tier, but in Windsor they have the three-tier which I have never really understood, given that we are in one unitary authority! Sometimes I'm so dense!

Is there scoope for you to hold informal 'temperature taking' events so that you can see whether you're the only provider feeling like this? Its amazing what you can achieve when you band together, and if every provider in your LA started bombarding their MP/local councillor/local press with letters expressing concerns then maybe at least you could raise awareness of the problems you face.

Not exactly the same situation but in Sep 2007 our county moved to two tier education.......

We worried for about 18 months about which primary schools would shut down, then phew ours wasn't one of them.........

My job was tied entirely to the school nursery sio it seemed my job was safe!!

Then we realised everyone would have to apply for their own jobs.......................

THEN because of too many places around the county our reception intake was cut from 40 to 30 places and so at that point we were told we did not need 2 maintained sessions of nursery.......... one would close!!!!!!!!

I then began to realise that I would have to move jobs because I couldn't afford to work part time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So alongside all the other stuff you get thrown at you day after day everyone has their job to worry about to!!!

I was interviewed I think about 3 years after all of this change was made public and was consulted on ( :o )

Consultation showed we did not want 2 tier education!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Still we got it though!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway trying to round up this story I stayed where I was because in fact the changes thrust upon us whilst they were awful to live with and through they opened up opportunities for me.

There were lots of highs and lows and possibilities, but finally we stayed open in the afternoons but on a private basis and as such then became able to offer the children and parents a much more flexible service!!

I would not have asked for this change but to be honest I think it was a great move (NOW I CAN THINK THIS!!!!)

So I am kind of saying in a long winded way that there are some things you just can't do anything about but I am hopeful that out of it all you will find opportunities you didn't dream of or think about!!!

*As a little note here, our county shut down so many schools and places that this year we have a crisis...... not enough reception places and we at our school are having double entry to reception......... 60 children!!!!!!

The county made so many decisions about babies not even born yet......... how could they know for sure how many children we would actually need places for!!!!!!! The short sightedness astounds me.

Good luck with everything. Chin up. You have lots of people appreciating you and your role!!!!!

I didn't want to read and run, so would like to wish you luck with these changes.

It must be very frustrating to have put in so much effort and then to feel so much uncertainty. I do hope it all works out for you. Good luck.