Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Ofsted Inspection In Out Of School Clubs

I manage a 46 place before and after school and holiday club. I was Ofsted'd in March 2010 and got a Good which i was relatively happy with, however i feel that the inspection process concentrated on the EYFS element of the setting and gave little consideration to the care of the rest of the children , which in my case is about 75-80% of the setting's users. I feel that the results of current After School Club inspections may not be a fair reflection of care provided overall.

Does anyone else feel the same? I would appreciate any comments.

I am in the final year of a BA Honours in Integrated Early Years practice and i am researching the inspection process of After School Clubs for my dissertaion.

It was my understanding that all settings were inspected on the EYFS until they had all been 'done'. Next time I'm sure they'll be concentrating on something completely different.

I am childminder and have been hearing murmurings that maybe RCMs won't have to provide EYFS in the future. Perhaps OOHSC will be in same boat. We can live in hope!

Honey

Hi well done on the good result. I too think it is slightly wrong that they are concentrating on the early years when the majority of children are not eyfs.I'm due ofsted and really don't know if I'm doin right for doin wrong.what is the set up of your club if you don't mind me asking-regarding planning,activities,layout etc? Thanks in advance! Catherine

Hi well done on the good result. I too think it is slightly wrong that they are concentrating on the early years when the majority of children are not eyfs.I'm due ofsted and really don't know if I'm doin right for doin wrong.what is the set up of your club if you don't mind me asking-regarding planning,activities,layout etc? Thanks in advance! Catherine

Hi Cat , thanks for the reply. We rent the school hall and set up and pack away every day which as i'm sure you know is a bit of a nightmare. We have lots of small small world, role play, table top games, i have just inherited two recycled computers which are VERY popular, we have the tv on later in the day, the children are given tea, usually sandwiches, but something different on a friday. We ae quite luck to have lots of outdoor space, the older boys just want to play football most of the time. Re planning we have general themes eg spring, and each day one of the staff does an adult led activity (which the children can do if they chose) that has a (often tenuous) link to the theme. We take a lot of ideas from the children themselves. we have a think tank (pictures of brains floating in a fish tank on whihc the children write suggestions - yuk)and we carry out survey's see att for simple example. Ofsted did seem to like that we took the children's views into account. TBH when EYFS first came in i did try to do learning journerys etc for the reception children but felt that i was re-doing what they'd done in school. Re planning i come up with a rough plan of any themed linked activities and then stick everything else under continuous provision. Layout is always a problem, towards the end of the eve when there are less children we pack the tables away and get out things such as hoops, indoor balls, skittles or maybe the parachute.

Am thinking of doing a survey re playworkers opinions/experiences of OFSTED & delivering the EYFS in after school clubs, would you be up for completing one?

questionnaire_key_stage_1.pub

Weekly_planning_Blank.pub

It was my understanding that all settings were inspected on the EYFS until they had all been 'done'. Next time I'm sure they'll be concentrating on something completely different.

I am childminder and have been hearing murmurings that maybe RCMs won't have to provide EYFS in the future. Perhaps OOHSC will be in same boat. We can live in hope!

Honey

I am sure you'r right...we've just all got our heads round EYFS and something else will come in....haven't we been here before?

I manage a 46 place before and after school and holiday club. I was Ofsted'd in March 2010 and got a Good which i was relatively happy with, however i feel that the inspection process concentrated on the EYFS element of the setting and gave little consideration to the care of the rest of the children , which in my case is about 75-80% of the setting's users. I feel that the results of current After School Club inspections may not be a fair reflection of care provided overall.

Does anyone else feel the same? I would appreciate any comments.

I am in the final year of a BA Honours in Integrated Early Years practice and i am researching the inspection process of After School Clubs for my dissertaion.

Hi

Im committee of OOSC and totally agree with you. In fact I dont think we should be doing planning, obs or anything really. It should be a place they can relax and enjoy....I think planning and opbs has taken over the staff at club. They are so worried about OFSTED inspecting for EYFS and yet there are only 6 out of 114 children that use our club! I do agree with the welfare requirments etc of EYFS but quite alot of this was in place anyway before EYFS. Do school clubs get inspected by anyone for the older children ie 5 yrs and above???!!

I have arranged for our LEA OSC support to come in on wed to see the running of the session and give staff advice. He is being made redundant in April due to LEA cuts. Will be 5yrs in April since our last inspection.

Hi

Im committee of OOSC and totally agree with you. In fact I dont think we should be doing planning, obs or anything really. It should be a place they can relax and enjoy....I think planning and opbs has taken over the staff at club. They are so worried about OFSTED inspecting for EYFS and yet there are only 6 out of 114 children that use our club! I do agree with the welfare requirments etc of EYFS but quite alot of this was in place anyway before EYFS. Do school clubs get inspected by anyone for the older children ie 5 yrs and above???!!

I have arranged for our LEA OSC support to come in on wed to see the running of the session and give staff advice. He is being made redundant in April due to LEA cuts. Will be 5yrs in April since our last inspection.

If your setting is on the compulsary register (which i am sure it prob is) than there is a checklist (a bit of a cursory affair) that the inpector will go through in relation to the older children, but other than that, no there is no specific requirements or inspection that i am aware of for older children. I agree that the prvious OFSTED standards (red book) for Out of School care were far more workable and from a safeguarding/welfare point of view were perfectly adequate.

Hi thanks for that you seem to be doing very similar to what we do. Yes I would be more than willing to do a survey!!

One more thing ...do you have continuous planning sheets for all areas and have them out on display,linking to the eyfs or do you jus have a list of toys availible???

Thanks again for your reply!!

catherine

Hi thanks for that you seem to be doing very similar to what we do. Yes I would be more than willing to do a survey!!

One more thing ...do you have continuous planning sheets for all areas and have them out on display,linking to the eyfs or do you jus have a list of toys availible???

Thanks again for your reply!!

catherine

Hi,

I am just in the process of producing a Catalogue of toys and resources that we have using photos. The idea being so that the children can point and say "i want that one" (to be said in little Britain voice) as i think a lot of the time they and we, forget what we have got so the same old stuff keeps coming out. I don't link planning to the eyfs especially.

Lorraine

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)