Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Non Phonetic Readers

Hi all

I am well into phase 2 and 3 with all my children apart from my bottom group, who just don't seem to be getting blending at all.

Half of them are struggling to retain any phonemes so we are delivering a mix of phase 1 and 2. the other half are picking up phonemes but just can't blend.

I have taught an autistic boy before that did not blend and just learnt to read by sight vocabulary.

Just wondered what you do in your setting to help non phonetic readers or those just not picking up the letter sounds?

I also have children sounding out individual phonemes confidently and then saying something completely off the wall as the resulting word - c a t = 'box' for example! Very frustrating it is too.

I have tried looking at word shapes with limited success for the tricky words but otherwise I'm relying on practise, picture clues and then more practise and hoping that, as often happens with rhyming, one day the penny will drop and we'll be on to War and Peace.

The children not retaining phonemes are harder in some ways and we do lots of kinesthetic work with making letter shapes, usually in goop or something messy, every day. We also play hunt the letter shape outside, and ride the bike to letter ... so that the environment is just saturated with a few letters each week. The drip drip seems to work eventually but I certainly haven't found a quick fix.

Not much help I'm afraid, but I'm comforted to know that it's not just my lot who aren't flying along at phase 5!

Mary

just as a general comment, am not a teacher! my son has severe dyslexia and could never "get" phonice phoemes or blending so please be aware that this "may" be the case. it took until year 9 for me to be listened to, but that is another story, on another post somewhere in the past!

he had to almost learn and memorise each word, so one at a time for him was better xx

been there cybertwin!! and a plea to all teachers out there if a child is having difficulty with reversing letters ...b/d ...p/q...n/u etc PLEASE do not teach them together. due to bad teaching methods my daughter is till struggling with b and d and is year 10! (sorry just a gripe :o )

I have a couple of children still not blending, I think theres nothing to worry about at this stage, maybe by easter I would start to wonder if there is a learning difficulty but children develop at different stages. I think you're doing the right thing to continue phase 1 and 2 activities. But recognising phonemes is a tough one, I have been really lucky this year that all of mine (except one little boy with SEN) have picked up the phonemes easily. I have sent home the phonemes we've been learning each week for the children to practise at home which i think has helped. I tend to find that teaching the phonemes through jolly phonics - with the picture/story/ song works for those who are struggling. Good luck!

• 1 month later...

Hi there...first EVER post on here so hope this helps.

I am exactly the same,

I keep my lower ability back during assembly times sometimes (with the hussle and bussle of tidy up time/toilet time- i forget to keep them back). I have made boxes (satpin etc) with items inside like snake, stick, turtle, pirate etc...I would then lay out the letter tiles on the carpet for the children to familiarise themselves with what sounds we are covering. We would quickly go over the sound and the appropriate action. with the items inside the box Their job is to pick out an item and put it on the correct letter tile. My children see this like a game. It is working really well at the minute! And now with this extra support, they are becoming more confident with initial sounds and even hearing sounds/initial sounds in words. Even when my other children return from assembly,even the high ability want to get involved. My shoe boxes and nicely decorated and full of goodies so the other children want to get involved. :o

Good luck!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)