Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Messy Play Day

Emmawill

JUst wanted to say what a great day we have had at our setting today.

We hold a messy playday once a term whereby parents are pre advised to supply a spare set of clothes and we carry out a very messy activity that the children and us get covered in!!!.

Well todays activity was Jelly with caterpillars and butterflies ( HUngry Caterpiller theme).

We made 50 litres of jelly last night and uses tuff spots to put it in. the morning session children took a while to get involved but did enjoy squiding it through fingers and finding bugs however.... the afternoon session was brilliant. the children asked if they could get in which we replied of course and told them to take shoes and socks off at one point there was 8 children in one tuff sopt and they were putting it down there tops , sitting on it and making noises like whhoopy cushions ( one child's comments) . It did get a bit sliddy and so in i went to help the children stand up ( much to the delight of staff and kids) then it happended! I went flying, could get up for the fear of ewetting myself through laughing so much and the kids were in hysterics as well as staff who by that time had slid trying to save me and the kids!!! a great afternoon was had by all and the kids all went out raving about the fun.

I suppose some would say I need to look at the health and safety issue about slipping but I would recommend it never laghed so much.

Next terms we are planning trifle!! jelly, custard and sprinkles!!!!! cant wait :oxD

I hate wetting my knickers but love laughing so that I might. xD

Sounds like you had a fab day. You should show them some Marx brothers films before next terms messy day, custard pies :o

Edit to say, I dont wet my knickers often :(

Edited by Rea

At our setting we have a messy day every Thursday .The children love it and so do the adults we all have a great time , gloop,play-dough,paints, water play, we brought snow inside in the water tray and built a snowman, just to name a few activties best wishes Jayr :o

In my memory the best days spent with those in my care were ones when we laughed. All of us, cackling (I'm a cackler!), giggling, and genuinely laughing and smiling. I remember once saying to a member of staff, how many other jobs are there where you laugh so much and get so much joy out of the job. Sheer delight!

Sounds like you had a fantastic day Emmawill! Ooooh custard....

It was a good day, but we have had one complaint from a parent who said that she had to wash her daughters hair twice to get the jelly out!!! she was not a happy bunny!!!! so in response I sent out a letter to all reminding them that they are pre warned about messy play and that we cannot strip down your child to bath them!! think she got the hint!!!.

Do you advise parents before hand?

It was a good day, but we have had one complaint from a parent who said that she had to wash her daughters hair twice to get the jelly out!!! she was not a happy bunny!!!! so in response I sent out a letter to all reminding them that they are pre warned about messy play and that we cannot strip down your child to bath them!! think she got the hint!!!.

Do you advise parents before hand?

One of my parents said "I feel I have not got my money's worth if my daughter goes home clean"