Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Linking Letters And Sounds

sazzJ

To be honest you can inroduce letters and sounds from babies as they can be doing the basics: roaring like a lion, wheeeee (noise) down a slide!!! areoplane noises things as basic as that.

tell your parents its just not the phonic of the letter its all different elements, rhyming, playing around with language, its all about introducing slowly and surely.

we do different activities once, twice a week like "mrs browning had a box" "silly soup" etc

the children seem to really enjoy it.

louisa

You can start to introduce Phase 1 letters and sounds from approximately 4/5years, but it is more important to give an enriched practical environment for them to explore them in.

Lots of sound games, listening games, silly songs and rhymes, not sure if this is what your parents are asking for, or is it the more formal stuff, if so maybe a parent workshop explaining the importance of this stage and ideas to promote this at home might be a good idea.

I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will come along soon. :o

I agree that lots of stuff in phase one like rhymes, body percussion, sounds etc can be started from very young, and as a setting our babies watch and copy the older children ( aged 2-4) when they are doing other phase one activities. We do all sorts of the activities with all of our children, and also leave activities like silly soup out for the children to self select as part of child initiated.We have also given parents suggestions for activities to use at home. Our children love it , and so do the local schools , when they get to school it's familar and fun for them. :o

Picking up on the workshop idea, I did one a few years back, partly because some parents were starting to pressure us regarding 'teaching to read' and partly because I had been part of a brilliant CLLD project in the city. It was a great success and parents took what we were saying on board really well.

Actually, it may be time for another as we have one or two 'pushers' in the new group of parents..... :o

Sue

PS, I agree with Susan and Shirel!

phase one start as early as possible so children get the right mouth formations for some letter sounds...regional accents are great but can also hinder some letter sounds. My children find it very difficult to pronounce the "th" words pronouncing them as "f" I get lots of "Fursdays"!!!!! Even when children move on to phase 2 I still include lots of phase 1 activities as they are fun.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)