Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Unfriendly And Uncooperative Nursery Team

I am in the 3rd year of a job as a Nursery teacher in a very difficult school in South East London. I came to the job as an NQT and my parallel teacher was a hopeless long term supply who has since left. She was replaced by an equally hopeless long term supply, who has now left and I finally have a permenent teacher with me who is very good, but new and still finding her feet.

However throughout all of this the other adults in the setting are a mixture of unfriendly, bitchy, lazy, messy, and depressed Nursery Nurses and teaching Assistants. Team work has slightly improved since I started, only natural given how closely we have to work together and the period of time. But there are still big problems with team work and a permenant undercurrent of tension exists, often you could cut it with a knife! It means children's learning and behaviour is not what it could be and with serious behavioural issues we are constantly failing to work collaboratively and with consistent approaches. The whole place looks a mess and so many jobs just aren't done. I have to work until 6 most nights just to get the bare minimum done ( it is a very large setting with 70 children).

I know as a teacher I should be leading this team but when I try to lead I get a defensive response. When I try to value their experience and strengths and allow them to make decisions they take advantage and do nothing or take the easy way out, and when I make decisions without them, such as the environment layout or systems for behaviour management (what I am paid and required to do) they create a virtual united front to rebel against it. Yet when I ask for their input nobody speaks, and some even walk out of meetings.

I know they are fed up of the school and the lack of respect from management, as am I, but they have chosen to work here and they are making every day a real struggle.

Does anyone have any ideas for boosting team work, helping me communicate with them more effectively or generally just helping things run more smoothly?

The word I picked out amongst all the ones you used to describe your team was 'depressed'. For whatever reason, these practitioners have got into a downward spiral and in the environment you describe, it will be difficult for them to be positive about new initiatives and approaches. Yes, they have chosen to work in your school but they may be feeling trapped and powerless and a whole host of other emotions too.

I think it may be time for you to talk to them all as individuals and really listen to how they're feeling - find out from them what they would like to change about their working environment and what motivates them. I believe that if you don't get to the bottom of what is going on for them individually you will never be able to manage and motivate them as a team. It sounds to be as if this situation has been brewing for a long time, and somehow you need to get back on an even keel and start again with a clean slate.

You're part of this situation too, and this process might be uncomfortable for you all. However if everyone is to feel valued and respected (including you!) then I think it is time for some open and honest discussion.

Good luck - and welcome to the Forum by the way!

Welcome to the forum zibidee. :o

What a struggle you are having, my first thoughts were......I wonder what response you would get if you printed off your post, took it to work, showed it to your staff and said, a friend of mine in another school emailed me this asking for advice......................what do you think would help her? And see what they come up with.but then I thought they'd maybe just say, we know how she feels. xD

I agree with HappyMaz, individual, then hopefully moving on to whole team talks. Finding the 'real' problems not the nit picky ones that are on the surface, finding motivators, helping them recognise that however much we disagree or dislike some things, it is not always in our power to change them so we HAVE TO find ways to work to the best of it for our well being and sanity.

Reviewing job descriptions, responsibilities, help them identify their strengths, areas they would like to improve, how they can best use their strengths and what resources they need for improvements etc.

Can you get support with this from your new teacher, two of you singing from the same song sheet should make it feel less like a single battle. Work with the less resilient staff first then hopefully onward and upward.

Good luck, let us know how it all goes.

Peggy

Welcome to the forum zibadee.

I think happymaz is right. An individual approach is best. We have been experiencing similar problems at work about covering classes in the teachers absence which is spiralling out of control. A team meeting was held and views aired. Great, but not so great for the girl who continually tried to interject for about 10 minutes without much luck, due to some of the more vocal members. The point is that all of us had different issues some of which weren't heard and some of us were taken along for the ride as we felt that we weren't being taken advantage of.

In regards to your situation not all the staff members may have the same issues but feel they can't raise them in a team situation. They may even feel resentment towards other members of staff if they're not pulling their weight! If you approach them individually they may be more likely to air their views.

How do you circulate changes of routine/behaviour expectations? This can always be a tricky situation in a large team remembering who you've told and who you haven't. Our class teacher has a typed routine on display with a general description of who will be there and doing what e.g before school setting up and replenishing areas, tidy up times group times etc. this also helps if people are in to cover. She also types up and circulates any new initiatives or changes to all members of staff.

Hope this helps in some way

Trasong :o

Hi there zibidee, welcome to the forum, sorry to hear you are having a tough time in school. When I read your post, I see a number of issues, all of which on theor own can be challenging but together are a nightmare.

I think you must have a foundation stage manager? Are you able to talk things through with them? Or are you in a nursery school, as you mentioned it being large? How many staff are you talking about?

One of the challenges for nursery teachers in schools, is that more often than not you dont actually line manage your staff, and so there is a limit as to what you can do re job descriptions, contractual duties, appraisals etc and often nursery staff often do things other colleagues in the school do not. Some of these things cold be at the root of the problem, given that you mentioned management as an issue.

I do also wonder how your staff meetings are structured, are these whole school ones, or do you have your own just for nursery? I'm just wondering why they are walking out of meetings, and if this would be acceptable in the rest of the school?

Lots of questions I know, Id like to get more of a picture of whats going on before suggesting a way forwrd

You sound as if you are having a pretty tough time - good that now you have some support in the shape of the new teacher now.

Just out of interest have you had an Ofsted since starting at the setting ? How did it go - did they step up to the mark then ? Might be interesting to use as an example if they did perform better with that 'threat' over thier heads, then try and get them to identify - individually - why that has changed again ?

It could be that you have an Ofsted due - maybe this could be your 'kick up the backside' that they need - approaching it from the 'we need to be doing this for Mrs O' type of conversation rather than 'the management want us to do this'

I don't envy you your task , but maybe a bit of selective pruning of dead wood is needed, and some tough talking and delegation of tasks, to enable those of you who are there for the right reasons to flourish. :o

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I have worked in difficult nursery situations but I had the support of a sensitive nad understanding HT.

As Mundia suggests, are you able to talk to your line manager, FS coord or HT?

I know it is tough but I doubt you can do this on your own and it may even be that you will need to look for another position before this destroys you and your enthusiasm.

Can you ask for the staff or all of you to have some joint training or go ot and about to see how others operate? Do you have an early years teacher or advisor who can come in and support you all to identify the changes that you need to make?

The other thing that jumps out at me is that in a 70 place nursery, if all 70 children are in together, does that not mean that you actually need more teachers?

Good luck.

Hi, some very helpful responses already here.

We have found at our preschool that a very good way of motivating staff has been to give them sole responsibility for setting up a particular area. For us that is outdoors/indoors as we only have 3 staff, but for you it might be an area of learning.

This allows those who are motivated to come to the fore, and also adds a useful element of competition.

One staff member who wasn't terribly keen to go outdoors is now setting out a fantastic array of resources every morning - she wants to persuade more children to pick 'her' area!

My other thought would be whether you belong to a union and whether they can offer you any support, maybe in terms of low cost training for these staff?

Good luck, a tricky situation but your children will really benefit from your approach so stick at it if you possibly can.

Edited by Guest

Hi Zibidee, Some great advice, as always, and you will see on here you are no longer alone!

Have you looked in to the 'forming, norming , storming, performing' information available...the foundation degree candidates often cover it or you can google

there are also personality, learning style questionnaires which all affect team dynamics (and if you go into things too deeply you get bamboozled!!)

There is also Carol Dweck's Mindset research - often working out which mindset staff have helps you understand how to tackle something

However I think your team probably fall into two categories (from how you described them) - those you know that want to but are a bit lost...and those that are just out to be difficult (and know they can get away with it). Until the latter go or are brought to task, managed and change then things will continue to be difficult

BUT once that happens and everyone is at least wiling to try and reflect the difference can be amazing. Sometimes it takes just one to be challenged and the rest fall into line, sometimes it can be a clique.

I realise that seems harsh but I've been there and it was horrible.

I think you (or the leader) have to draw the line, know what it is you want for your setting and make it clear that that was then and this is now and things are going to be different...and like with the children boundaries will be pushed but they have to know it's no longer acceptable (and have consequences, discipline)...and then those that want to move forward have the climate to do so.

It sounds easy and straight forward, it isn't nor is it quick BUT it can happen...and it can't be any worse than it is now!

Do you or they know what their issues actually are, are they still relevant...it's all too easy to get into a negative mindset - can you suggest finding positive ways to say the negatives; and then find a solution: "it's too cold to go out" becomes "we need more hats and scarves, I'll ask for donations" (sorry can't think of a better example!)

Maybe have a staff meeting to get everything out in the open...or a 'moan box' where comment s are dropped in and then discussed at the meeting to save people feeling intimidated etc and then discuss how those things are going to be tackled and delegate people to be responsible for them. (Remember there is no 'I' in teamwork!) Come back in a couple of weeks to discuss progress etc

I wish you all the best :)