Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Roy Lichtenstein

I am having one of thoses brain dead moments could any one help?

i am doing superheroes at the moment and thought it would be nice to look at roy lichtenstein's art work as his work is based on comics and its big, bright and bold. i have also identified the need to expand childrens creativity in art. I put all sorts of paint and brushes and printing implements out and they always choose the paint brush and poster paint as this is safe for them!

has anyone looked at this artist with reception before and does anyone have any ideas of how i could approach this?

thank you in advance

Emma

I am having one of thoses brain dead moments could any one help?

i am doing superheroes at the moment and thought it would be nice to look at roy lichtenstein's art work as his work is based on comics and its big, bright and bold. i have also identified the need to expand childrens creativity in art. I put all sorts of paint and brushes and printing implements out and they always choose the paint brush and poster paint as this is safe for them!

has anyone looked at this artist with reception before and does anyone have any ideas of how i could approach this?

thank you in advance

Emma

Sorry can't help in response to looking at this particular artist and I am preschool not reception. However, I identified with you about children choosing 'safe' options in art activities. I put a wide range of paints and painting 'implements' but like you found they always went for familiar paint and brushes. I tried encouraging them to use something other than brushes and to explore different paints, I tired modelling but to no avail. Then I had a bit of a lightbulb moment, I put the wide range out one day but no ready mixed paint and no brushes at all. Not one child said a word and the resulting pieces of artwork were great. Over time I reintroduced the favourite paint and brushes and now children regularly access the range of resources :o Just thought I would share.

I think when children are new to nursery some of them (many in the area we serve) do not have any painting experiences to draw from so we as practitioners have to offer up different ways of painting.

I think I would introduce on different days lots of ways to paint and then gradually offer a choice...

I used this artist recently although with year2s but they all have learning difficulties. They loved it. I also used no paint, just coloured card and paper to make the shapes. The children loved it. WE then though of our own words (related to fireworks at the time) and put them in the middle. :o

Not this artist I'm afraid, but our pre-schoolers were using bingo dabbers the other day, so we looked at pointillism paintings. they had a great time with the markers making their own creations, then I printed off photographs of the children through my colouring book programme and it then produced line drawings of the children and they spotty painted those with bingo dabbers or finger paints, they don't look half bad!

try this we use it in nursery- you can download a trial version but the full one (for a piece of software) is great value

http://plasq.com/

have you thought about taking a photo of each child (close up head shot) print and enlarge and stick onto paper- children then have to 'draw'/design their super hero costume. They could add mixed media such as feathers, collage etc speech bubbles or action strips will complete the comic look.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)