Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Teaching Money

I need to teach money this week with my Reception class - we haven't really covered this at all yet, except for incidentally with role play. Our theme at the moment is 'Jack and the Beanstalk' and I was thinking of relating it to the giant's coins. We need to do something on recognition. I'm lacking inspiration though, wondered if anyone had any good ideas??

Cant the giant be counting his money and sorting the coins into moneybags of the appropriate coins?

Do remember though not everything needs or should be topic based. Tenuous connections are worse than no connection although in this case it seems to fit well!

Thats a fab idea - they can help the giant sort his money. I think we might have some of those massive coins at school as well! You're quite right about tenuous connections too! Sometimes I find myself getting drawn into trying to think of topic related things...

What a lovely idea with the giant- use real coins rather than the ones you mentioned that you might have at school - it will be so much better than the giant ones (if you are not already planning to do this)- and a better learning experience. I always keep a jar full of small change at school for just such experiences-

as extra activities to support the money concept we have done rubbings of coins (glue two coins onto a piece of card, head and tail side up) and use metallic crayons to create a rubbing. You can make lots of these as it does not cost much to make them up using the small denomination coins

Playing shops using 1p coins for buying and change

Use a blank die and put a picture of coin on each side (e.g. 1p, 2p, 5p, 10p, 20p 50p)- child rolls die and has to find that coin- to make it more challenging maybe use 1p coins but the die may read 7p 5p 2p 3p 6p 12p on each side. Child rolls die and has to count out the correct amount of money

You may like to set money problems for the children that could involve Jack's mum e.g. Jack's mum went to the market and bought some eggs for 3p and a packet of seeds for 2p How much did she spend altogether?

Start a collection of foreign coins for investigation- link this to KUW Sense of community and PSED cultures

Use a large map to link the coins to where in the world they have come from

If you have a beebot you could make a coin mat and the beebot has to be programmed to reach the coin

hope this helps- have fun

in china (chinese new year this week) they give out lucky money envelopes this week usually to the children.they are small red envelopes with gong xi fa chi (kung hei fat choi ..phonetically) which is a new year greeting wishing more prosperity for the year printed in gold on the front. So how about designing an activity around this ....maybe they have to put in the right amount of money in each envelope, or money rubbings and cut out as in the previous post.

...am i being a bit thick by the way? why do you have to do money this week...is it a part of an elg i've missed?

I am doing money for the first time too - I am going to bury coins in the sand (Like treasure) and get children to find coins and initially spend time talking about the size, colour, looking at the numbers in the coins.

Found this little IWB game which is nice for counting

http://www.bgfl.org/bgfl/custom/resources_...money/index.htm

I'm doing chinese new year this week so linking money with making lucky money envelopes.

in china (chinese new year this week) they give out lucky money envelopes this week usually to the children.they are small red envelopes with gong xi fa chi (kung hei fat choi ..phonetically) which is a new year greeting wishing more prosperity for the year printed in gold on the front. So how about designing an activity around this ....maybe they have to put in the right amount of money in each envelope, or money rubbings and cut out as in the previous post.

...am i being a bit thick by the way? why do you have to do money this week...is it a part of an elg i've missed?

My post crossed over! Great minds think alike!

It isn't any ELG to teach money, I only touch upon it through role-play and in ways you have said. I guess it is a useful context to get children used to counting in etc.

Thanks for all the fab ideas, I am definitely inspired now! I know its not an ELG but lots of the children in my class are fascinated by money - we have a drawer of play money and they hide it in the most bizarre places! Thought it would be a good way of teaching counting, no recognition and calculation. Think all your ideas will keep us going for a while. I am also very excited as my flooded classroom has been fixed and we are moving back in this week! Have been teaching in the hall since Christmas...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)