Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Help - Guns!

Hope someone out there can help us.

We have a quite a few boys who are playing guns, using everything they can to make them and running around shooting everything in sight and being quite rough with some of the children who do not want to join in and who don't like being shot!

Does anyone have any ideas/activities as to how to develop this further as it is obviously something that they need to explore and we don't want to stop their play but are unsure of how to support them.

Thanking you all for your help

We started out with some ground rules - namely they can only play the game with children who want to join in. We spent quite some time helping the children find a way to ask each other and to respond both for and against the play (communication and language skills). After that we developed the play as it developed with the specific children. For some this was building bigger and better weapons (creativity) and for others it was discussing further the role they were acting out (role play and problem solving) which for most was a superhero. We then took the superhero theme and looked at how they could be superheroes in preschool. We had a lot of super-tidy-up-heroes for a while!

can you make an area where they can shoot at a target?! , something like a round board with numbers for example and pretend to hit the board!! only an idea but it may contain the play and prevent them from using play as a way of frightening other children!

give them pen an paper and ask them to draw guns, mark down how many they have, create guns out of junk ,

they tell you their role play game and you write it down get them to draw their own pictures and you have a book.

what kind of super hero they are being with their game what other gadgets they might need

My friend, who comes from the perspective of a parent of 2 boys, rather than a practitioner.

She said boys can play with guns only when they have understood the Geneva Convention.

When my son was small I did not allow guns or war play. One day I came into the room to discover that my seven year old daughter had used her pocket money to buy him a set of army figures. 'It's OK mummy', said my four year old son-'these are the UN peacekeeping force'.

Edited by Guest

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)