Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Mathematical Development Elg ?

Hi,

Just wondered if anyone could help with this one.... 'Finds one more or one less than a number from 1 to 10' ELG is puzzling me slightly! I am not sure what the children need to do exactly to achieve this goal - should they be able to answer ?'s from the top of their heads e.g; can you tell me what one more than 6 is/1 less than 7 is? Or.... would it be ok to use a numberline for them to locate 1 more/1 less? I use these 1 more/less ?'s in practical play etc, but there is a large proportion of the class who find it difficult to recall these facts without using pysical objects - particuarly 1 less.

Please advise.

Thanks, Emma

Our maths advisor encouraged us to do lots of word problems as warm up activities for maths throughout the school. I found the children enjoyed this when number stories were linked to the topic and now use it to get them thinking at different times in the day. Even when we're lining up to go home if I suddenly realise I'm a bit early. The children participate really well and it has given me the opportunity to observe those who can do one more one less calculations in their heads. It also gives me a feel for their understanding of addition and subtraction too, as I don't always use 1 more or 1 less calculations in the problems. Example story for pets would be 'My dog had 6 biscuits in his bowl this morning, but next door's cat came in through our cat flap and it took one, how many did my dog have left?... I felt so sad for my dog I gave him 2 more and he ate them all up. Do you know how many he ate?

I also have a numberline up behind my chair and when we have done the register say how many children there are and sometimes ask how many there would be if one more person was there or if a named child was away.

Looking forward to hearing other people's ideas too!

Angela

Thanks Angela - it's always interesting to hear how other people do things! I do try to incorporate these types of questions throughout the day as well - though could possibly do it in more situations, as you point out. I'm just wondering if children do have to be able to do these calculations in their heads before I can pysically tick off this ELG in the profile, or is the use of number lines etc ok?

As the children are only identifiying 1 more or less, I always expect them to be able to do this unaided--could be wrong though?

I also expect the child to be able to do both not either.

29949[/snapback]

Me too :D

Dear Emma Jane, I always expect the children to be able to do this in a range of situations - 'consistently and reliably' so therefore you can assess it in a range of different activities including mental recall, word problems and practical play acitivities. I always find it helpful to start with the children I know can do this without reassessing them, then those that I know can't and then target the group in the middle maybe with a play activity or during carpet sessions - you could make this the focus of your observations over a period of 2/3 days.By the end of this time you will know whether they can or can't - hope this helps you. :)

Dear Emma Jane, I always expect the children to be able to do this in a range of situations - 'consistently and reliably' so therefore you can assess it in a range of different activities including mental recall, word problems and practical play acitivities. I always find it helpful to start with the children I know can do this without reassessing them, then those that I know can't and then target the group in the middle maybe with a play activity or during carpet sessions - you could make this the focus of your observations over a period of 2/3 days.By the end of this time you will know whether they can or can't - hope this helps you. :) I too find that the children find 1 more easier than 1 less - some are confident with 1 more until they are introduced to 1 less. However you need to assess their ability to do both for this Scale point.

call me picky (?) but my own interpretation is based on the word 'find'. To me this means, that a child may not 'know' the answer to one more or less but may know how to work it out by using a number line or track, fingers etc.

later on in, the NNS distinguishes between 'find' and 'know' or 'say' (eg in year one, children are expected to be able to say the number one more or less).

the emphasis for me would be using lots of different situations and problems, but that they know how to find out, and even more helpful if they can articulate how they find out, as this is a much more useful mathematical skill in the long term.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)