Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Psrn

Hey guys,

Just wanted to get your opinion on this matter...

I have been informed that the children within my class (Nursery) have to be taught the calculation side of things before learning numbers for counting,labels for counting and so on... I just cannot comprehend how a child is supposed to know what 1plus 1 is if they don't even know what number one is?

Am i being really lame here or i am i correct to question this?

Sounds a bit mad to me I suggest you go back to Development Matters and see what the advice is there for children in your age bracket!

Good luck!

Lorna

Hi, it's a question to do with conceptual development really.

Many children are able to say and recognise numbers 1, 2, 3, etc. before they are able to understand conceptually that 1 means 1 object and you can add another object to this and that makes 2.

So, whoever told you this has their information wrong, or their wires crossed. The two things are separate bits of learning really. Some children might get the adding objects bit first, but most will not in my experience.

I have refered back to Development Matters...Thank you so much - i did question myself at one point!

Some people have the knack of saying something so preposterous with such conviction that it is all too easy to begin to think they might just be right, no matter how implausible it sounds. :o That's why the members of this Forum are so great - providing a quick and effective reality check so that all is right the world once more!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)