Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Once Upon A Time

Hi

I work in a preschool with children aged 3-5years. We are starting a new topic Once Upon a Time. We will be focusing on:

The Little Red Hen

Three Little Pigs

I am struggling for ideas on what to do with children as a whole group. Has anyone got any ideas??

Thanks

Alison

I have been told to cover them. we are looking at traditional stories then taking a look at modern stories that the children read at home and nursery.

Hi!

Personally I would take an approach of - favourite stories, lead on from there..... if you are a preschool, can you not follow children's interest, which will leave you with lots, I would think.

What sort of Preschool are you in? If a daycare, I see where you are coming from.

If that is the case, why don't you talk to your children to establish their favourite stories, then use them for your planning, in the knowledge that you can prove your choice??

Sue

Can I ask what is the learning outcome you are trying to achieve looking at 'Traditional stories' compared (I presume) to modern stories?

Or is this just about stories in general that are read at home and nursery?

If the latter, what is the aim, or aims of the topic? from this is where activities can be planned, alongside the next steps of individual children.

The responses so far are vague, I would think, because planning is best done from the children's perspective / context / development interests and needs, and as we don't know your children it is hard to help.

Peggy

If you would like to do something as a group how about a group drama...we've done the three little pigs ( i think it turned out there were about 12 actually! xD ) the little red hen i would be inclined to go for bread making or butter churning(with milk in a jam jar) ...

difficult if you are being told to do these things...not really in the spirit of the eyfs but sometimeswe have to tow other peoples lines :o

The Three Little Pigs - looking at different materials - bricks, sticks and straw. Making pictures of houses using choice of different materials (obviously bricks would have to be painted on paper) - is this the sort of thing you mean?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)