Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Stories For Storytelling

I love storytelling and have been using the stories from The Bumper Book of Storytelling. I also made my own version for storytelling of A New Home for a Pirate and Nat Fantastic. I made these for Year 1 but I think they are a bit complicated for my Reception class.

I wondered if people would be willing to share other stories they have adapted for storytelling and maybe we could build up a bank of them which would fit different topic ideas.

I've tried to upload Nat Fantastic but I don't seem to have the pirate story on my laptop.

Nat_Fantastic.doc

I think its a great idea to build up a bank of stories! I love storytelling too and so do my class. I am planning on focussing on 'Jack and the Beanstalk' after the holidays, so if anyone has a simple version of this its would be much appreciated (and would save me a job this week!) I have uploaded 2 that I've done with my class - they are powerpoints so children can see pictures as prompts initially.

The_Little_Red_Hen_1_.ppt

Cinderella_story.ppt

We agreed actions as a school so that they can carry through. There are some suggested ones in Pie Corbett's storytelling book. I take photos of the children doing actions and put into the story area for child initiated story telling.

These are the actions that we use and are from the Pie Corbett book. I found these on the TES website and have copied them here - thanks to Msz for posting them there.

Once upon a time Open hands like a book.

Early one morning hands to one side of head and pretend to wake up.

Who finger circle index finger in air.

First one finger up.

Next 2 fingers pointed to one side.

But fingers down.

Because hands out open palmed.

At that moment

Suddenly hands expressively open upwards as if in surprise.

To his amazement

Luckily

Unfortunately hands out and open down

After/after that roll hands over in turning gesture.

So roll hands forwards and open as if giving.

Finally Palm facing audience like a policeman stopping traffic

In the end bring hands together as if closing book.

Happily ever after

Eventually

These are the actions that we use and are from the Pie Corbett book. I found these on the TES website and have copied them here - thanks to Msz for posting them there.

Once upon a time Open hands like a book.

Early one morning hands to one side of head and pretend to wake up.

Who finger circle index finger in air.

First one finger up.

Next 2 fingers pointed to one side.

But fingers down.

Because hands out open palmed.

At that moment

Suddenly hands expressively open upwards as if in surprise.

To his amazement

Luckily

Unfortunately hands out and open down

After/after that roll hands over in turning gesture.

So roll hands forwards and open as if giving.

Finally Palm facing audience like a policeman stopping traffic

In the end bring hands together as if closing book.

Happily ever after

Eventually

Brill!!!! thanks

I recently saw a wonderful retelling of Sleeping Beauty using home made puppets from wooden spoons, paper plates, and cardboard cut outs.

The lady did some wonderful voices for the characters but the best bit was when the prince kissed the princess, she woke up and saw the state of the palace gardens, (all the thorn bushes and everything overgrown) and she decided she would be the best gardener in all the land and transform the place. I loved the fact she didnt have to marry the prince.

I love the twist on the ending too - am all set to explore traditional oral tellings this term - fingers crossed! Thank you to all for the help.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)