Jump to content
Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Setting Up A Food Business From Home


Recommended Posts

Posted

I am hoping to start up my own food business from my kitchen.

If anyone has any experience of this I hope you can answer my questions!

I have contacted my local council but they're not answering my questions as well as I'd like.

 

I'm aware that I'd need environmental health to inspect my kitchen. But would like to know what they are looking for. Council have sent me a form to fill in to request a visit but it assumes I have a business already. I'm not going to plan my business in every detail if my kitchen is ultimately not suitable.

 

My biggest concern is that there is a cloakroom (toilet) at the end of my kitchen. I find it odd for a house only 14 years old. I can't seem to find the info I need on the net either but I have heard from somewhere that two doors need to be between a toilet and a kitchen but does this apply to a home?

 

I look forward to replies!

 

ppp

Posted

the two door thing was an old thing I think they changed it ...which is why you cannot find any info on it.. and yes it did apply to a home.

 

sorry cannot really help but it reminded me of an aunt with two doors because of the regulations at the time.. she had 2 plastic concertina doors next to each other! not really what they were thinking!

Posted

Hi sorry I dont know anything about starting a food busines from home but as a childminder i registered with the food standards agency recently as i prepare ,cook and serve food for the children .the woman who came brought me some leaflets -

Food law inspections and your business

Food hygiene a guide for businesses

Starting up first steps to running a catering business

Apparently they are all available from the food standards agency

foodstandards@ecgroup.co.uk tel 0845 6060667

You may already have these .

but the lady who came to me was very OTT as she kept talking about my childminding setting as a food business ! which I tried to explain to her that i wasnt

How ever some of the things she was hot on were

The better food better business file

Food hygiene certificate

Separate sink in the kitchen for hand washing

Separate colour coded chopping boards

anti bacterial handwash /surface spray

temperature probe for checking food temperatures

Temperature display of fridge

the use of kitchen towels for drying hands etc

food reheating procedures

food storage procedures

what sort of thing you are making/who you were serving food to.

 

Hope this is of some help .I think they may even come out and advise you about what you d need if you ask.

Posted

Thank you very much janice116! Very helpful. I will contact the council again in the new year and hope to move things forward.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)