Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Magic Carpet Ideas

Thinking about the children's interests for the start of next term. Lots of my class are interested in aeroplanes and magic and flying so I was thinking about a magic carpet. Has anyone done this or got any great ideas?

Many thanks

I've never done it at work. But me and my sister used to sit on a mat in out front room and pretend it was a magic carpet. We took bags of important things, food etc. I loved it

quite a few looks but not many replies..

I used to do this with F1 in preschool during a group time, all sit on the carpet, hold on tight etc..

made it into a fun role play going to different places depending on the children's interests . I was able to introduce loads of different ideas just took a bit of imagination..

things like flying high what could we see down there and introduce a picture from an unusual position to try to identify.. land and its the rainforest, feel the ground search through the leaves what can we find etc.. That day I had parents who could bring in creatures for them to look at.. maybe not strictly rainforest but we had snakes, spiders and lizards.. just used the parents we had..

some parents brought in clothes from different countries for them to see etc.. and we made the carpet ride around them.. and allowed us to investigate other countries, adding foods, culture etc etc.

used children's ideas on where to go, they came up with some unusual places, and we could then investigate more about the things they introduced.. was a bit of fast investigation and quick with ideas to follow this through. Some would use places they had been, even if only the local park, others things they had seen on TV .. became very diverse and interesting time..

we did find they constantly followed through in own play as well and by observing them we could extend this too..

This has worked really well with unsettled children - I use the parachute to sit on and we chat about where we're going to go, what we'll need etc. It's a lovely activity with a group of about 6-8 children, really got the imaginations flowing.

I have just looked up some books on Amazon. I found:

* My Granny went to market

* The Witch's children and the Queen

* Winnie's Flying Carpet

* Aladdin and the enchanted lamp

And a relaxation book called 'Relax Kids: Aladdin's Magic Carpet'

They look like good starting points for getting the children's imagination going.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)