Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Drunken Behaviour Procedure

We had nice Ofsted lady in last week to have a look at our new room. She also went through a set of questions with us and made a couple of suggestions about things. One was to make sure Ofsted's address is in the policies, not just a phone number. The other was that we need a written procedure for dealing with parents or staff that turn up not sober (in whatever way). Has anybody got one of these? She said this is a favourite topic for inspectors at the moment.

As part of our Terms and conditions for staff we have a clause about turning up for work in a 'hungover' ( whether by drink or other substances!) state - staff know they will be sent straight home and lose a days pay the first time - if it happens a second time the disciplinary process kicks in. In our parent handbook there is a paragraph about reasons why we may refuse a child to be released - this includes a parent in a state 'where in our opinion a child may be deemed to be at risk of potential harm if we were to release them' This covers drunk/drugged/generally unbalanced/severe stress etc. The procedure in these cases is for us to contact the other carer / listed contacts and seek advise/support , it can be very hard but parenst need to know we have the childs best interests at heart at all times.

:o Wouldn't it be nice if Ofsted let us all know when they arbitrarily decide what is their new 'hot topic!'

I have2 nurseries in 2 different authorities and the Ofsted inspectors have invariably been looking for completely different things. Some uniformity would be good me-thinks!! Thanks for the heads up though.

I added this to our child protection policy/safeguarding policy .. I really got fed up with needing too many individual policies which were never read by parents as it was too overwhelming for them.

was a long time ago now that it was asked for in our area... can remember asking on here for help, but cannot find the posts,

did find this one though

alcohol policy which is probably what you are looking for.