Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Hawkin Bazaar

Inge

Thanks for the link Inge,

Bought back some memories, clackers and diablo were my favourite, although I do recall the clackers were banned in school because of injury to wrists!.

We are doing Inventions as a topic soon, which includes "things from the past" so good timing, but not good for the finances, I'm bound to spend too much!

Peggy

It is a very difficult concept for the children. I tried to help them think about what life was like before we had all our modern "inventions" such as T.V., cars etc. I will have to rethink how it is presented. ( I know children can only really learn about what is relevant to them, and as this is the first time I've done this topic, I have a lot to learn about helping them with the concept)

Today I asked the children;

Q: When you get home from preschool, what do you do? ( knowing quite a few watch T.V.)

A: Watch T.V.

Q: What would you do if you didn't have a TV?

A: Blank faces ( non comprehensible) :o:(:(

Q: What would you do if your TV was broken?

A: Plug it in :D:D:D

( I was trying to get them to think about what poeple did before we had TV, note to self, try a different method)

Q: If you wanted to get to preschool but didn't have a car, how would you get here?

A: Walk

Q: If you wanted to get to London, a long way away, How would you get there ( I had in mind bicycles or horses- because I know xD )

A: Aeroplane

Q: How would you get there if we didn't have aeroplanes.

A: I'd build one with wings that go like this....animated body language)

That's very good Ben, if we need something we have to make it and think about how it would work - that's called "inventing"

Tomorrow, I shall give the children some design problems to solve, where we have to make something ie: Little Tommy has broken one leg and he wants to go to the park, he's too heavy to carry, What can we "invent" to help him get there?

Then it's out with the "Junk" modelling resources :D

Wish me luck.

Peggy

I love Hawkins Bazaar. :oxD:( Recently bought the colour changing ducks, indoor kites, fly specs and magic beanstalks (not a lot happening yet though!!)

I always buy little bits for my son to make his own christmas crackers too.

Have recently looked at the site as I want to make a fine motor basket, with those pens with all the different coloured inks in, squeezy animals with long tongues and so on.

Dear Peggy

Can you get hold of an old portable black and white television. I have one of the small ones and it was really interesting - although they watched it for some time they didn't really acknowledge that it wasn't in colour for a very long time. In fact when asked which colour each of the tweenies were they jsut pointed at the screen and said the colour. I actually had to prompt them after a while that it was black and white.

Nikki

Good idea Nicola,

I think I've got about 5 in my attic :o , why didn't I think of that.

Does anyone remember the coloured plastic sheets put over a Black and white TV screen, blue, red and green stripes, I think. The "Cheap" colour telly.

Peggy