Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Volunteering In Pre-school

I live in a rural village and have done for the last 4 years since the breakdown of my marriage. I havent really got that involved in village life however I now feel that I should make some effort. I manage a nursery in town and have almost 20 years childcare experience and have managed in various settings for 12 years.

I emailed the local village pre-school offering my services to help out of an evening, weekend or would even take leave to help if needed, I attached my CV so they could get an idea of who I am. I explained why I was offering to volunteer and reiterated that I wasnt looking for a paid position, I already have a job, I just want to get to know more people in the village in which I live and hoped that this would be an ideal way.

This was about 3 weeks ago, I heard back from who I assume was the Pre-School leader who said she was suprised that I had any spare time and had passed my details onto the Chairperson. Since then I have heard nothing. I know its a busy time for everyone just now and maybe thats why I havent heard anything, but I am slightly disappointed and a bit bemused by the non-communication.

Don't really know why I've posted this, just wanted to vent I guess and guage opinion? Ideas anyone??

Maybe it is just the time of year, or that the Chair is just very busy in his/her personal life at the moment. They may just be waiting for the new year to contact you.

Personally I'd be biting your hand off! :o Hopefully they'll be in touch soon.

I'd be happy to have you too - do you travel!!!??!!

Personally I would pop my head into the preschool and say hello, they might respond quicker to an approach in person. Clarify your experience and say you would be willing to do CRB etc.

Speaking as a Chair I am quite snowed under with my own (paid) work at the moment, so it might have taken me a while to respond.

Apart from the timing, this may also have something to do with your experience and the concern that you may try to take over or the fact that you already run a setting that while not be in the village they could see as competition They could be vary wary of your motives even though you have tried to reassure them.

There is probably very limited work on evenings and weekends - apart from committee work does depend on the set up.. and for daytime they may find it hard to see how you could contribute on an occasional day rather than on a regular basis... such as one day a week where they would get to know you better. You could volunteer to go on the committee , that is where thy may need the help and it would be a way to get to know some in the village.

Having lived in a village for years there may be other areas where you could get to know more people and contribute... We have a very varied and wide range of things on offer over the year... some are evenings and weekends as well as daytime. really does depend on what other things they have around.. do you get a village newsletter with things going on. or if a village hall there may be a list of on the noticeboard. I do think our village is very active, with ladies club ( not WI) Britain in bloom, monthly market, parish council who often need help, then our newsletter is always in need of help to collate/distribute it,craft club, short mat bowls, etc etc etc.. never seems to end.

Have you a village shop where they may have information on other things too.. here they all seem very linked and helpful.

Thank you all for your kind and thoughtful replies. I'm hoping it is just because of the time of the year, I know from experience that this is probably the busiest time and term of the year!!

I'll keep my eye open to see if there are any other opportunites to meet people and get involved!!