Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Showing Progress From Nursery To Reception

Hi all,

I'm just wondering how you show progress from nursery to reception? Do you use the profile points? The months in the EYFS? Any online recommendations?

Thanks in advance for your help!

CLouise

Hi

I have just been considering the same point! Then I read a good section from a document handed out to Ofsted bods inspecting EY settings and it was most interesting!

They will use ages and stages to audit on entry levels to both nursery and reception. Although, as we know, there is no national on entry/baseline data. The document says - "Inspectors should make a professional judgement by taking into account the proportions of children meeting expectations in the age related bands."

They say that the age related expectation at the start of nursery is for children to demonstrate all elements in the 22 - 36 months across all 6 areas.

For Reception they expect all children, on entry, to demonstrate all elements in the 30 to 50 months band.

The document is Inspecting the early years foundation stage - supplementary guidance. scary, but worth a read!

Jenni

Thanks Jenni,

Will make sure I find and digest that document!

We assess and show progress using the age related expectations (months) at the moment and analyse this data termly. But we have to do this assessment on top of recording profile points termly, so it seems that we are assessing the same child in the same areas twice! Once using profile points and once using the months from the EYFS.

I hoped that someone would have a system that would be less time consuming but equally as effective.

Any takers?...

Hi Clouise,

I'm not sure if you've come across our PRAMS system here on the forum, but you can read about it here. Whilst at the moment it doesn't cover the profile points, just the age bands for each aspect, we are always making plans and it's possible we may be able to include the profile points next year sometime. :o

For clarity as an ofsted doc that's the one for registered settings though...for schools it would be the section 5 guidance. However the age related expectations are important to use as benchmarks for measuring attainment.

Cx

This guidance does exist aswell for schools, it is in a zipped file on the Ofsted website under additional materials. It says just the same thing as the eyfs for settings does.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)