Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Constitution

Just interested in hearing what constitution other setting have and if staff members are on the committee?

We are due for an AGM in January and think we need to update to the model 2008 constitution from the learning alliance.

Thanks xx

Hi, I got us to upgrade recently to the 2008 one (we were on the 1999 version lol, but that's a whole other story ...)

Our leader attends committee meetings but she is not officially a committee member. I prefer staff not to be, as this can result in various conflicts of interest and make a lot of the discussions awkward. It would also be tricky as we hold committee meetings during session time.

We've got the 2008 one but I think theres a 2009 one? Need to check. Anyway, our staff were on the committee or kind of still are, at least they didnt come off at the AGM last month, but nor did I (slight oversight).

They were only on to make up numbers, but like Suzie, I dont think they should be on it really.

We follow the 2008 one aswell. There is really no difference from the older ones other than the staff bit and that you can be paid to work aswell as be on committee. We had a couple of staff on committee last year and it didnt really cause any conflict but to be honest we are now ensuring that at least one member of staff attends all committee meetings. If anything of a personnell issue arises this is held at at the end of the meeting without staff present.

I really do think that staff should be involved in the committee. Without clarity, committee can easily upset staff and vice versa. I've seen it happen and it isn't nice.

If staff can agree with the committee that for instance 'yes we need to do this in order to move forwards and then get that in place' it promotes staff's self worth as well as helping you when Ofsted come in asking questions and the staff haven't an answer.

This does all however rely on a strong team and no backstabbers or staff/committee who wants to push forwards on their own without you! I do speak from bitter experience.

Spiral.

thanks for your feedback :o I hope that at the AGM the I hope they agree to the new constitution and that staff come along too!

The pre.schl learning alliance have also been a great help, answering my many questions about the 2008 con! They are very very helpful!

Always best if staff are present. I know the committee are the employer but its much better if everyone works together for the good of the setting. It gives ownership to the staff and afterall, they have to work to whatever decisions we take, and we're not all in a position to know the correct way to go about things or the correct things we can ask them to do.