Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Keyworkers In School

Hi all

I am the leader of FS2 and we have 1 class of 30. We are thinking of introducing a keyworker system can others tell me if they do this or not and how it works?

Hi

I did this in my last school and the TAs were keyperson and the teacher so in a class of 30 with one TA we had 15 key children each. We were lucky enough to afford two TAs so then there were 10 children in the keyperson grooup. 7

It worked very well and the TAs felt much more valued. Children worked with both adutls during the day but were met and greeted in their keyperson group and also said goodbye in their keyperson group so the keyperson could meet the family member or carer at the beginning and end of the day.

Of course the overall responsibility for the class lies with the class teacher but they all worked very closely together and at parent consultation the keyperson would feedback to the parents/carer and they also were the main person during discussion on home visits.

It works very well if everyone is happy to work as a team and of course it is much easier for the children to get to know everyone in a small group when they start school.

Good luck

Lorna

Thanks Lorna

Did your TA assess and input the data for their key group. Also did you both still observe all children or just children in your key group?

Thanks Lorna

Did your TA assess and input the data for their key group. Also did you both still observe all children or just children in your key group?

The teacher was fully responsible for getting the secretarial staff to input the data. So we had a system that used the obs to decide what scale points had been met and then at the end of Dec, March and June the teacher would sit in the office with the school secretary to input on the main computer ready to be sent off! Inputing data is not a task teachers should be expected to do!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Teachers and TAs did observations of their key children but also they may also see something a child not in their key group was doing and would make the observation and put it in the file for that child. It is important for everyone to interact with all children not just their key children. Also if we found that a child had a better rapport with another memeber of staff after say the first term we would change the key person but this was a very rare occurance!

Lorna

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)