Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Year One Phonics Screening Consultation

Apologies if this has been posted before but hereis the consultation for the proposed phonics sceening for year one children, to be trialled in 2011 ans begin in 2012.

If you have an opinion on this, have a look at the consultation and respond.

It would be good to discuss our various views here too!

My gut reaction is one positive, one negative:

Positive - children who aren't picking up reading will be identified at an early stage, so long as money is available to support them, they can have focused help.

Negative - it shows a lack of trust in individual teachers to know and support their children.

Reading is so crucial for later educational sucess.

Of course what would really sort the whole thing out is small reception classes!

I thought the same. We already do something similar to this. i make sure i check on each child's phonics individually at the end of each 'big' term - not in a screening way though, but through games that we play 1-1. Then the year one teacher continues this until she is satisfied that they are secure with all GPC's.

It seems that a lot of the things that are being considered are making teachers out to be unworthy even though most are working their socks off to do the very best for the children.

Nice to be asked to respond to this consultation, although I'm not sure how much it will affect the outcome.

We've always assessed children's phonic knowledge regularly from YR onwards and planned interventions accordingly, so this won't be anything new for us, apart from possibly having to report formally to parents. Our Head is concerned that reporting the outcomes might lead to some schools 'massaging' their results but I can't see that happening any more than already goes on with KS1 SATS results.

Am I missing something really sinister here?

Hmmmm "Phonics screening check" ?? Isn't that what any good school and/or good teacher does through assessment/APP anyway. To me it seems like a formal test and they are delicately naming it "phonics screening check". I don't think it is acceptable that 5/6 year olds are formally tested on something that a class teacher should have a firm understanding of already. The EYFS is set up to gain a solid profile of a child including phonics, without putting them through unnecessary pressure or formal testing. If it is information that it is to be shared with parents, immediately the element of pressure comes in.

We have to fill in phonics data sheets that go from Reception all the way up the school, so everyone knows where each child is. This is never done through 'screening checks' but through phonics lessons, observing children etc and children who need extra help are identified and are receiving support. I feel it is another way to collect data on schools, judge teachers and I do feel it is unnecessary and yes, perhaps, a little sinister!

Edited by Guest

• 1 month later...

I agree with members who point out that phonics screening tailored to individual children or groups of children is usually done anyway. In particular LittleMiss is absolutely right that anything like a formal test for this age group is unacceptable. There are also serious problems with a national phonics screening instrument, and I've highlighted some of them in my submission to the DfE Consultation Team, which is attached - together with my brief CV (to let people know a bit about my background).

I think it is very important that all EYFS personnel resist any attempts to make this into a compulsory assessment that will lead to league tables, labelling of children as failures before they even start school etc.

Also, we need to focus more on helping children to understand what reading is about and what they can gain from it. After all, a child who can read but doesn't is no better off than a child who cannot read. The reluctant reader might even be worse off, if he (it's more often than not a boy) has learnt in school that he doesn't like reading.

Submission_to_Year_1_Phonics_Screening_Check_Consultation.doc

As i understand it the results will be reported and used in a school's RAiseonline report so Ofted will use it.

This is a consultation for something that is going to happen, so I don't believe it will make any difference.

It seems that a lot of the things that are being considered are making teachers out to be unworthy even though most are working their socks off to do the very best for the children.

That's what every Conservative Govt has done since I started teaching over a quarter of a century ago. You get used to it. We are all a feckless lot who don't know how to teach or what is best for children. Unless you have been to Eton that is.

Cx

As i understand it the results will be reported and used in a school's RAiseonline report so Ofted will use it.

This is a consultation for something that is going to happen, so I don't believe it will make any difference.

That's what every Conservative Govt has done since I started teaching over a quarter of a century ago. You get used to it. We are all a feckless lot who don't know how to teach or what is best for children. Unless you have been to Eton that is.

Cx

Sad but true Catma where are the Sir Ken Robinsons, Guy Claxtons and Iram Siraj-Blatchfords when we need them? Mind you Mr Gove wouldn't listen would he??

Lorna

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)