Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Out In The Cold

I can't believe it's almost 2011 and I still have staff that can't see the value of all weather outdoor play. "It's too cold!" is just the start of the moaning. How can I expect the children to enjoy it if the staff are stood round looking grumpy and that's if I can get them out the door in the first place. I've been out and modelled how to play without table top resources and even then they complain how cold the indoor area is with the door open.

Okay, whinge over. Does anyone have any EYFS references to say staff have to be outside? Also, if I am expecting staff to be outside should the setting be providing them with gloves, winter coats etc?

Thanks for your help

Suebear

I think this will always be a struggle!! However, Forest Schools, when recruiting, obviously make it clear staff will be out for a large part of the day, severe weather included so maybe this needs to be in our contracts/conditions? lol

We did invest in some appropriate coats and wellies etc - more because the staff brought their own but steered toward fashion rather than warmth. On wearing ours (some were hubby's cast offs - roomy!!) they soon noticed the difference and realised why the children didn't seem to feel the cold - Because they had suitable clothing on too!!! Rahhhh!

I'm sure there is some reference in there - off to look

I posted yesterday (I think) about supporting learning in the cold! We're finding the children want to take their gloves off to do things (as we do!) and then they're too cold :(

I'm lucky now but it took a LONG time! I introduced total free flow in 2005 when we moved to a new building and there was a bit of resistance but the staff saw the difference it made xD I think if memory serves me right the free-flow wasn't quite so free in the winter... I left in 2007 and have just gone back and was pleased to see they still use the outside space well (with lots of input from teh EYFSA I think though!!)

The setting has been taken over by the school and they bought the staff uniform tops including polo tops, a jumper AND a fleece so they could wear all those layers inside and put their coat on to go out.

The school has had problems with their mid-day assistants and clothing so have also introduced a uniform polo top for them. OMG you should have heard them moaning about the cold!! So the school also gave them £20 each towards trousers!! They bought men's trousers with a lining of jersey (? t-shirt type material). THEN they moaned that sometimes it rains :o NO!!! So school offered to buy them coats too!! We were a bit miffed as they don't even spend an hour a day outside as lunch is only 40 minutes and some of that they're in the hall with their classes eating lunch! So.... we got them too! They were £20 and are fab! Reversible fleece and waterproof with a hood in the collar and with our logo on. We are really pleased and have found them so warm we haven't needed our jumpers!

I think if you have a uniform or clothing policy it is kind of expected to have at least some bought for staff.

Thank you for your replies. Hello Kitty where do you get your uniforms from and how often do staff expect new ones? Our staff are supplied with a t-shirt and fleece but no outer layers. I'd love to see their faces if I asked them to wear my husband's outdoor clothes! :o

We have a shop fairly locally that sells workwear generally - you give them a template for your logo and pay a one off price then after that they will add it to anything you buy for free :D

I don't know that we get it replaced ever... anyone work anywhere else with uniforms? Shops for example.. do you have to buy your own uniform?

http://www3.hants.gov.uk/childrens-service...hem-the-sky.htm

Have a read of this by Helen Bilton. "Give them the Sky". I love this term so much I was thinking of painting it on one of the outside walls.

Helen suggested that when we advertise for staff in our settings we could have a photograph of an adult well wrapped up for outdoors and a warning that if you don’t want to work outside then you need not apply.

On a more practical note, Makro have an offer on ski clothing & considering I just had a very nice letter from the tax man, I may just treat myself.

Edited by nickylear

I love seeing the uniform coats but we found that what was warm for one staff wasn't for the next, and as it's just for in the nursery garden we weren't concerned about variety. (staff opt for their own coats when it's visits!)

We're outdorsy peeps at home so have a quite a collection (berghaus, regatta etc) have seen ski trousers in tkmaxx for reasonable money and have been tempted but resorted to waterproof overtrousers instead for more practical reasons.

Ski type padded boots seem to be warmer than wellies but aren't as economical. Fashion definitely flies outa the window in winter !

The fleecy 'cowls' are fab and less lumpy than scarves, milletts do a good range. We're struggling with taking the photos when we're all gloved up!

Love the idea of the photo on job adverts!

Edited by gingerbreadman

We're struggling with taking the photos when we're all gloved up!

I use hand warmers, even though they are open at the end, as it c=syill covers the whole hand, haveing my fingers next to each other rather than in golves seems to keep them insulated. i find I can write & take photos much easier.

I also used a market trader pinney to store all my obs, pens canera etc in as the pockets are large & I don't have to struggle with taking my golves off & no to fiddle with zips.

Maybe we could invent a coat made from hotwater bottles & take it to the Dragons Den.....we culd rich, he he, :o

Hi everyone

if you look on the EYFS CD rom at the 'effective practice' section on outdoor learning there is a cracking quote for adult outdoors and how important their role is! Great as a reminder as to what we should be doing and modelling. We are just getting our parents/grandmas etc to knit fingerless mittens from a simple pattern off the internet. Although we are lucky enough to have the 'Raindrops' waterproof ones we find that the children need their fingers to do stuff with; hence the call in our newsletter for knitters! Will let you know how we fair.

Thank you all, shall search out my cd! Have 2 new members of staff and at interview we asked them their views on outdoor play, it's the longer standing members of staff that aren't happy. But unless I said we were going to sit on our bums and drink coffee I don't think I could please them!!!!

Thank you all, shall search out my cd! Have 2 new members of staff and at interview we asked them their views on outdoor play, it's the longer standing members of staff that aren't happy. But unless I said we were going to sit on our bums and drink coffee I don't think I could please them!!!!

Not even then - it would be the wrong coffee, or they'd want tea, and where are the biscuits and I'm not washing up... Not that I know your staff members, but I do know people for whom nothing is right... Luckily I don't work with them.

Well think yourselves lucky as we have had little heating in our hall for the past two days due to broken heaters - just as the weather is turning colder.

Our problem is those children who choose to dress themselves in summer clothes and the parents can do nothing about it (unfortunately also a child of a member of staff)!!!

Rachel