Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

What A Horrible Day

In the setting we got new staff, new supervisor who is doing everything to sort out things, setting just be decorated and areas need a bit more developing;

outside we getting new fence(work in the proces), can,t go to uor usual play park

Nwe staff pulling you for sleave, asking questiones.

I been 'floter' today and supose to help where help needed and it seems to me that I was looking for lost things, sorting computer to print pictures for new children, getting children of the tables :o !

New staff will leave them and go, I don't know where :( and I felt screaming and crying :(xD :wacko: xD

It is only 3 old members of staff and 4 new and is awfull. I know that they do not know all things but surelly if they been told not to leave children non supervised,

why they doing it. :(

We all got areas to tidy up in the end of the day and is always same people who don't do it. Supervisor is to soft and to good ( I have to say this ,she is member of Forum, she my read it) :D:D:D !

I do not know how I am going to face tommorow?

Rea, you not only one to have bad day, it is two of us now

My absolute sympathies kit kat. The only thing I can recommend is a good sense of humour. Isnt there a saying 'laugh and the world laughs with you, cry and you're on your own'? The last bit isnt true of this place but humour has saved my sanity on more than one occassion lately, that and having a place to come for sympathy and advice. Tommorow will be better, and I am an eternal optomist :o:D

Dear You Two

Sorry to hear you have two bad days - days like the one you are having are soul destroying and ultimately it is only the children who miss out along with ourselves of course (sanity) Seems madness to have more new staff than old starting on one day - makes for everyone's life miserable - but of course we all know why this is. New staff might feel incompetent by having to ask too many questions and they they will start asking each other and then they might just be given the wrong answers and start developing bad habits. although as you say there is no excuse for leaving the children unsupervised. Where is their induction programme, or is it expected that the 3 old staff give this in addition to having to deal with everything else and 4 new recruits.

Well keep your head down or your head up whichever seems more appropriate.

Nikki

My sympathies Kit kat. :o We all have days like this and wonder where it all went wrong but luckily this is always balanced out by good days too. :) I always find it interesting with my assistant - some days when we get to the end she'll roll her eyes and say - that was a terrible session - but I often think it wasn't so bad. Just goes to show that different people might have different perspectives. :D Hope you have a better day next time. :)

Thanks Nikki on support

The enviroment I am is with British Forces and that is why sometimes is lots of changes happening. People been posted somewere else and they need replecement. The new staff had induction day, but it must be hard when you new...still, it is hard when you not new, too :o

Sos to hear about your bad day

Mine started out fab. DAY OFF until I sat down at my pc and saw my pile of paperwork. That took 2hrs and then my finance officer rang to sort things out, which took 1hr, popped into work to pick up a file. 1 1/2 hours later I leave. Came home and back on pc.

DAY OFF ..................................may be one day.

net :oxD:(:(:(

Kit-Kat,

I once did some training on team development ( a long time ago). I remember learning about the stages of team development as something like this;

Forming - initial get together, getting to know each others strengths & area for development.

Norming - becoming responsive to each other as a team

Settling - secure in each others support as a team

Storming - It takes just one person to leave the team, which causes a reshuffle of positions within the team, and then the cycle evolves as the team develops toward forming again.

You are obviously in the "Storming" stage of the cycle, have heart it is just one phase of the cycle and you are all in the same boat! It will pass.

Peggy

There's performing too, I learnt it as forming storming norming performing, ie you get to know each other, you rub each other up the wrong way as you all shake down, you get over that and finally you get on and work as a team. For some they never stop storming however....... :D

Thanks catma, it was a long time ago, my old brain cells are ceasing :o

Peggy

p.s. "performing" being the operative word...actually "working" xD:(

It could be me, too. I wanted to do something with children, not to be pull out sleave for everybody, but like you say it is only a fase. I feel O.K. now but I had to let my steam off today, sorry! I also do not think I am good in this 'floater' position :o

Thanks everybody on your replies!

Guest Beryl

Dear Kit Kat,

I know what you mean about being a "floater" I think it can sometimes be a difficult role as you end up sorting out all the behaviour issues and disagreements! (between the children hopefully, not the staff!) :o

I'm sure things will improve, I hope you are feeling better today - I've been in a similar situation before and, as others have already said, things should settle down soon.

Good luck, keep smiling :)