Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

E100 Tma 04 Help

hi there everyone,

im currently in the process of writing up my last tma for E100 course... thank god..

for those who have done the E100 course ... could you please help me out in what to include in the TMA 04

Part 1 (1000 words)

Write an analytical account of key elements of one child’s learning and development – over a period of at least one week – in ONE of the following areas of learning:

1)communication and language

2) language and literacy

3) mathematical development, including problem-solving, reasoning and numeracy

4) knowledge and understanding of the world

5) personal, social and emotional development, including wellbeing.

Part 2 (1500 words)

Through a second analytical account, show how your planning and organisation

of the learning environment promote opportunities for learning, and illustrate

this with evidence relating to the child featured in Part 1.

i want to know, what people have choosen for part 1.. im thinking in going with the first one.. theres alot to write about in the language and communication area.

Any help would be much appreciated.

thanks

lisa

xxx

Edited by Guest

• 4 months later...
Guest Tracyc

Hi Lisa,

I'm just about to start writing TMA04 for E100 and would appreciate any help from your recent experience. I am planning on including CLL (for the same reasons as you).

I passed TMA03 but with comments that I basically need to look deeper to justfy my explanations. I had to cut 800 words out of my draft writing and find it hard to include the depth that the OU want, within the word count!

Hope you don't mind me picking your brains!

Many thanks

Tracy

hi there everyone,

im currently in the process of writing up my last tma for E100 course... thank god..

for those who have done the E100 course ... could you please help me out in what to include in the TMA 04

Part 1 (1000 words)

Write an analytical account of key elements of one child’s learning and development – over a period of at least one week – in ONE of the following areas of learning:

1)communication and language

2) language and literacy

3) mathematical development, including problem-solving, reasoning and numeracy

4) knowledge and understanding of the world

5) personal, social and emotional development, including wellbeing.

Part 2 (1500 words)

Through a second analytical account, show how your planning and organisation

of the learning environment promote opportunities for learning, and illustrate

this with evidence relating to the child featured in Part 1.

i want to know, what people have choosen for part 1.. im thinking in going with the first one.. theres alot to write about in the language and communication area.

Any help would be much appreciated.

thanks

lisa

xxx

overview of TMA 04:

you will be Considering one child’s learning and development

Highlighting one particular aspect of the curriculum

Considering your own role in supporting that learning as you:

* implement your setting’s curriculum guidance

* work in partnership with others

* create a learning environment

* engage with the children

You will be gathering evidence over more than one week ...

part 1

You will need to collect evidence over the course of a week or two about one child’s learning in ONE of the areas that are the subject of the study topics in Block 5 of the course:

Communication and language (or language and literacy)

Mathematical development, including problem-solving, reasoning and numeracy

Knowledge and understanding of the world

Personal, social and emotional development, including wellbeing

Consider what you might achieve through this opportunity...

Will you choose an area you like / are good at / are responsible for / are confident in ... ?

...or use it as an chance to develop your knowledge and understanding of a curriculum area you know less well / do not much enjoy / are less confident in?

A chance to develop and reflect. You will be reflecting on how your understanding and practice has developed in the ECA.

where will you be looking?

where, in your setting, you may find evidence of -

Communication and language (or language and literacy)

Mathematical development, including problem solving, reasoning and numeracy

Knowledge and understanding of the world

Personal, social and emotional development, including well-being?

Opportunities for observation

Anytime/informal unexpected ‘wow’ moments /significant progress

Whilst working alongside them. These may be planned or unplanned learning outcomes

Plan to stand back and watch a child or group of children at play to observe how they i.e. converse/collaborate/manage physically/problem solve.

Contexts of observations

Inside/outside play

Handover routines – am & pm

Child initiated and adult focused activities

Small groups/large groups/alone

At lunch and playtime!

What are the key ways that young children learn?Where will I see evidence of learning?

Playing – indoors and out, alone and with others, quietly or boisterously – allows children to find out about things, try out and practise ideas and skills, take risks, explore their feelings, learn from mistakes, be in control and think imaginatively. Playing is an important centre of learning for young children

being with other people -

As well as developing emotional security and social skills, being with other people – other children and adults – stimulates ideas and involvement that move learning forward.

being active:

Young children need to move, and learn and remember things by taking experiences in through the senses as they move. Sitting still for too long can disrupt learning.

exploring new things and experiences-

Children’s deep curiosity leads them to use all their senses to explore in real hands-on activities, and then put the information together in their own minds to form ideas and make sense of the world.

talking to themselves

In ‘self-speech’ children use out-loud thinking to clarify their thoughts, regulate their activities, take on imaginative roles and rehearse their skills.

communicating about what they are doing with someone who responds to their ideas

Even before they can talk in words, children are keen to share their ideas through sounds, gesture and body language. Talk helps children to understand what they experience. It is important that they have a chance to express their own ideas, as well as have conversations to hear other people’s ideas, extend their thinking, and use language about learning.

representing ideas and experiences

Children deepen their understanding as they recreate experiences or communicate their thinking in many different ways – in role-play or small world play, pictures, movements, models, and talk.

meeting physical and mental challenges

Working out what to do, trying hard, persevering with problems, finding out and thinking for themselves are opportunities for developing real understanding. These challenges may occur in play, or in real-life or planned activities

being shown how to do things

Children learn skills by watching others or being shown how to do something. Adults or peers may directly instruct, model, guide or demonstrate.

practising, repeating, applying skills

rehearsing skills in similar tasks or new contexts helps children to build mastery, to enjoy their own expertise, and to consolidate what they can do.

So what might you see?

Evidence of:

Schema

Piaget’s stages of development

Learning from a ‘knowledgeable other’

Language acquisition

Communication through body language

Laever’s involvement

Well-being

Cognitive development

Physical development

Creative development

Possibility thinking

Independence

Autonomy

How do you know it is ‘new learning’?

What do you know about the child’s present stage of learning and development?

Where did this information come from?

The child

Parents

Child’s interests

Previous observations

Colleagues observations / conversations

IEPs/IPPs

You are asked to relate your findings to:

relevant parts of the course materials (i.e. from Block 5),

the setting-based evidence you have gathered in preparation,

the curriculum framework or guidance adopted by your setting.

You should consider the child’s use of ICT and other technologies, their play, creativity, use of language and other symbols.

Your account should relate a range of setting-based evidence to appropriate parts of the course materials and the curriculum framework or guidance in use in your setting

Additional resources you might use to consider a child’s use of -

ICT and other technologies...

http://nationalstrategies.standards.dcsf.gov.uk/node/175104

http://ictearlyyears.e2bn.org/

Their play...

http://nationalstrategies.standards.dcsf.gov.uk/node/242798

Their creativity...

http://nationalstrategies.standards.dcsf.gov.uk/node/85178

Their language...

http://www.literacytrust.org.uk/talk_to_your_baby

Their use of other symbols... http://nationalstrategies.standards.dcsf.gov.uk/node/132558

part 2

Through a second analytical account, show how your planning and organisation of the learning environment promote opportunities for learning.

In this section you will need to:

identify the place of your chosen subject or area of learning in the curriculum your setting follows,

outline the implications of this both for the way you work with children and for the environment you plan and create.

refer to planning for the subject as well as giving examples of the support you provide.

include evidence of both these things, as well as of your observations in one or more appendices

How, in your setting, do you promote the area of Learning and Development that you have examined in Part 1?

How do you interpret this area of Learning and Development and create opportunities for learning in your setting?

What does this interpretation of the EYFS look like in your setting?

How do you achieve this?

How do you plan to achieve this – both individually and as a team?

How does the environment support the way you work with children?

How do you communicate as a team to ensure children’s needs are met within the environment?

How do you create an ‘Enabling Environment’?

Do you follow Local Authority guidance?

Do you access a Local Authority website?

http://www.birthtofive.org.uk/earlyyearsfo...tmaterials.aspx

By working with Early Years Advisors?

This will show how, through your actions as a practitioner, you act as the link between your setting’s curriculum framework or guidance and the learning environment offered.

In particular, consider how the environment may provide opportunities to work effectively in partnership with others in and/or beyond your setting.

An important element of the assignment will be your analysis of the way in which you work with colleagues and others as appropriate and, where possible, engage with your wider community, to support learning.

If you work in a large early years setting, you can probably think of lots of people in a variety of roles who you collaborate with on a regular or occasional basis.

Regular reviews of resources

Training – together / ‘cascading’ training / from a consultant

Individual / group of practitioners with responsibility

Communal ongoing ideas board

Parents’ / Carers’ ideas board

Local community projects

Local facilities

Children’s Centres

Parents’ / Carers’ / family members’ expertise

Children’s expertise – dinosaurs / popular culture...

If you work in a small setting you will perhaps need to think harder.

Do you take the children to a playgroup?

Do you go to s

tory readings in your local library and perhaps discuss books with librarians or other carers?

If your situation is one where it is very rare for you to work with others, you should explain this.

Your analysis should be supported by references to the course materials (including the readers) and to an annotated resource list (see below) which includes reference to official policies and related guidance.

part 3

An annotated list of resources you have drawn upon in Parts 1 and 2 of the assignment, including:

Early Years Foundation Stage

Other individual setting guidance if appropriate

Every Child Matters

The Common Core of Skills and Knowledge

...and may include information from books, articles, readings from magazines, newspapers and professional journals, audio and visual assets accessible through websites such as BBC iPlayer and Teachers’ TV.

Check TMA 01 guidance for compiling this list

• 1 year later...

you are not alone sandycol2! it sounds like it has changed since last year as we have not got so much choice. Now we have to do PSED for P1 and then choose CL or KUW for P2.

The posts from 2010/11 look helpful though.

Its amazing how many other things i keep finding to do rather than this assignment, dusting etc lol :D

• 4 weeks later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)