Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

New Qualification Level 3

dorinda

i think it is made up of different modules and each modules gives you points like at uni....you pick which modules you want to, they say that you will be able to do top up modules to make it a level 4...there is also some teaching you have to attend i believe

Hi all

We have 2 members of staff currently doing this qualification. They spend 6 hours class room learning ( plus many hours 'home work') per week but they expect to finish in July next year, that is less than 1 year in length as opposed to the DPP I did which lasted 4 terms.

I am really interested to find out how you are finding it.

Debbie

Hi, it sounds slightly different to the one that is taking place in my area. The course isnt due to finish until december of next year. It only started a few weeks ago and has mostly been paperwork so far. The first teaching class recently took place and focused on legislation. I think everyone is finding it quite daunting at the moment but hopefully now that it is underway everyone will settle in!

Playworkers are advised to stick with the playwork NVQ as the new format does not cover the way we work

Thats so long as they will fund it Jen! Had it pulled on one of our staff that they are stopping the playworker lev 3 course half way through due to funding cuts!! Im not happy especially as cant find anywhere else for her to do it and have to try and sort out some funding if we can find somewhere.

• 2 months later...
Hi Is there anyone who is going to be starting the new level 3 diploma children's and young people's workforce. Or are you going to be doing the NVQ level 3 that is still going now. Thanks in advance

Dorinda

Hi D

I have been teaching the new qualification since October, I am interested in hearing about your experience and how you are getting on.

Any information/feedback regarding your learning would be helpful, and if there is anything your stuck on maybe I can help as its so new and we are all still learning..........

Tracey

• 2 months later...

Hi, We have 2 new members of staff keen to start the level 3 diploma children's and young people's workforce but which is the best course provider for this .....can anyone recommend the best one which covers South Glos area? Thanks.

I have a member of staff doing this which she started in September. As far as I know it's the only one available, at least in our area. She has an evening once a month at college, assignments to complete and is assessed at work. It does seem to be a lot quicker to complete though.

Rachel

Hi All

I was absolutely appaled to find out that this new level 3 can actually be completed within 9 months and 4 x college visits of a couple of hours!

One member of staff is currently completing this with our PLA, seems to be a mix of nvq and diploma, she is doing really well but the amount of work that she has to do is huge.

have recently had an NVQ (I know its not called this now) accessor in observing level 2 students and she has told another member of staff that the level 3 is a piece of cake with minimum amount of paperwork and only 4 evening/morning sessions at college.

How can this possibly be right????

I have two members of staff currently undertaking this course. They are at college once a fortnight for an hour or so and 'skim' over things and come back asking lots of questions because the tutor is not going into any detail...think it's appalling and not the same level as the old NVQ 2 and 3's because does not give them the underpinning knowledge for a level 2 course, which is vital for their understanding of 'why' they are doing what they do when they are here on placement. I have spoken to their assessor (not the tutor because she doesn't come out) and have expressed my concerns, but to no avail. Currently awaiting a meeting with the college to discuss in more details my concerns. Not sure whether my local college is failing these two students or this is more widespread? But when i did my level 3 it was for 18 months for 6 hours per week and covered everything in more detail.

• 2 weeks later...

As per the old NVQ's i think the staff must have at least been in their roles for a year for the level 3 in order to undertake this level. They also need to be practicing in a supervisory capacity.

The tutors teach the course materials, providing them with the key points they need to learn (they have books and handouts!) - however the underpinning knowledge comes from the setting Managers taking the staff under their wings to teach and help them implement best practice and understanding.

The students are also required to research material in relation to the topic they are undertaking. For example legislation. They need to research what this is. Then take this back to their setting and analyse how this currently is adhered to, undertaken etc., in their setting, this is why many students end up having to ask their managers etc., This is the way the Diploma works. Students will not get the whole answer from the tutor - tutors recommend going back to find out how their setting works in relation to the overall welfare requirements/legislation etc., This is where we find difficulty as Managers think it should be the college - but training needs to be a 3 way process.

The one area that should be taught in more depth is child development as this will help support observation, assessment and planning. But again students need the support of managers to ensure that their practice is supported. The college should provide the theory and teach best practice - the student and manager should discuss and implement back at work. The student is responsible for learning and researching where guided to child development books and research.

Its not always the colleges fault - but the expectations of the managers. Managers need to set aside one hour a week (and have an open door policy) to go through the students work and files with the student, to be able to support and guide and for the student to ask any questions.