Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

How Much?

kristina

Hi

We are a Pre-School based in a local primary school, we have been approached by the school to open and run a breakfast and after school club!

I am putting together a questionnaire for the parents and would like some ideas of how much to charge!! I am going into this a bit blind so could do with some advice, I have found one local nursery who offers an after school club and they charge £4 per hour per child. Is this about right?

Any adive on this and anything else related would be greatly appreciated!!

Kris

Hi

We are a Pre-School based in a local primary school, we have been approached by the school to open and run a breakfast and after school club!

I am putting together a questionnaire for the parents and would like some ideas of how much to charge!! I am going into this a bit blind so could do with some advice, I have found one local nursery who offers an after school club and they charge £4 per hour per child. Is this about right?

Kris

we ran a club for 18 months , then had to stop as we were struggling financially. we found there was alot more involved than we thought, we had to ensure we kept finances seperate (so the NEG did not support the AS club) we had to concider how we would share the resources between the playgroup and the AS club, extra things we needed to buy to cater for the older children and how we would store these. we charged £2 for the breakfast session (provided cereals , toast, juice + milk) and £4 per hour for after school -and provided a light snack.

are you able to get any advice from your local authority ?

we charge £2.20 for morning and £6.25 for evening session no matter how long the child attends. Holiday club and inset is £9 er half day and £17 full day.

Hope that helps

Hi

Kris

Hi,

We have been running a breakfast club and after school club and just opened a pre-school within our setting. The sharing of resources and equipment is a concern as the older kids tend not to play with stuff as they should so we do pack alot of stuff away in the really useful boxes on wheels,same as cups,plates etc bigger equipment also stored ie the table tennis, table football and wii, moved to back of the room and covered with bright covers so everything still looks colourful but not in sight of smaller ones. Our prices are £4.00 for breakfast pancakes, spreads, drinks, toast and cereals etc offered and £7.00 for after school including snack pizza, toast,sandwiches etc these prices are for a session we also offer an hourly rate of £2.00 per hour hope this helps.

Thanks for the replies, hadn't considered the finances and NEG funding so thank you for that!!

It is the Head Teacher that wants this to take place, there have already been two OSC clubs at the school, the first received a start up grant and closed after a year the second received a sustainability grant then six months later closed!! So don't think I will receive any funding for start up or anything!

When I put forward my business plan for the Pre-School I did put that I would look into the possibilities of breakfast/after school club so feel I should keep my end of the bargain however I expect it will be one big headache!

Does anyone know how inspections would work? would the clubs be included in the Pre-School inspection and overall grade or would they be inspected seperatly?

Thanks everyone

Kris

Hi

Have another question for all of you lovely people!! In the Pre-School two members of staff hold NVQ3 CCLD 0-16 years and two hold level 3 Diploma in Pre-School practice, are any of these qualifications relevant for after school clubs (I assume the nvq's are) not sure about the diplomas!

Kris

Guest jenpercy
Hi

Have another question for all of you lovely people!! In the Pre-School two members of staff hold NVQ3 CCLD 0-16 years and two hold level 3 Diploma in Pre-School practice, are any of these qualifications relevant for after school clubs (I assume the nvq's are) not sure about the diplomas!

Kris

Qualifications - the only requirement for qualificatinos is really in relation to your EYFS children - so those qualifications are fine. you may want to consider getting some specific professional development though - as staff do not always adjust easily between the 2 roles.

As far as prices go - you would have to budget this yourself - as IMO the rent is the driving factor. Our rent is £49 a session after school - and this is not sustainable and we are hoping to get the Early Years Business Manager to negotiate it downwards. We charge £9:50 per session afrer school and £21.50 per day in the hols. We don't do half days or shorter hours as we can't aqfford to. Unfortunately we have to set our prices to be competitive with the (subsidised) Leisure Centre, but they are half the price of a childminder.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)