Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Letting Off Steam

Rea

Future deputy of the group was to write up all planning after meeting with other staff over hols. I came in today to no written plans, and she had changed the planned topic from boxes to hospitals, which was on the long term plan for later this half term. No reason except she didnt think it would matter. When I asked if she had done an activity plan for the hospital, or any other area of the room she said she'd forgotten to do any. None of the long term plan had been followed for hospitals, no ambulance booked, dentists contacted, leaflets from GP collected, forms or lables sorted, nothing, zilch, nada. By 9.20 I had a headache. This woman is level 3 qualified and is frying my brain. I'm in the process of observing for staff appraisals and really having to struggle to find positives for her. There is also no way on God's good earth that the chair wont give her the deputy position. She didnt get it last year and spent a week crying, and then a month sulking. Chair doesnt want that atmosphere again, and nobody can talk to her because she either listens and nods in agreement and then takes no notice, or sulks. Future playleader understands that come september she's in for one heck of a ride. Well tomorrow is another day and maybe plans will materialise :o:( Oh look....a flying pig xD

Gosh, Rea, I sympathise. You must feel really frustrated. I was interested in the bit about the staff appraisals though........ could your truthful and less than flattering staff appraisal help you to sway the opinion of your Chair? Surely positive and strong evidence of ability and attitude should support an appointment as Deputy. From what you intimate her progress should be downward, not upward! From another angle, could you adopt an attitude that the position of Deputy should be advertised and that all staff are free to apply. Its wrong of me to spout out ideas when I don't know your set-up and these are only suggestions.

Hang on in there and think of all those lovely children in your group. Try to hang on to one positive thing that happened today and take one day at a time.

Position has been advertised. Only one taker!!! The other member of staff is only half way through her NVQ3 so that would cause ructions if she was offered the position, even if she dared apply. But thanks for thinking of it and dont worry about spouting ideas, I'm all out myself :o

And staff appraisals may not be that honest either. I'm going to observe, record and give to each member their own obs and then ask them to feedback to me on how they think they do their job. I will be asking questions but I just know she'll say alll the right things and then carry on as before. I may be leaving earlier than planned xD

Oh Rea, Believe me my thoughts are with you, big hug.

How about ask your chair to come in and observe you, then observe her!!!! Let her see the difference :o

After staff have fed back their observations for appraisal, go on to ask where do you see yourself in a years time? (hopefully progressive answers). Then ask them to list how they think their responsibilities would

change and what training/ support they would like to prepare for these.

(ie: Time management to ensure plans are ready when required- lucky Ofsted didn't arrive with no plans)

You know how I've felt recently, well since I did my "rant" and got my priorities straight in my head, the pressure has lifted a lot ( can't spell emmensly!). Instead of thinking this should be done, I must do this, why haven't they done that, etc, I've spent more time really interacting with the children and having some fun- It makes life so much better- best headache cure I know.

I can understand it must be really difficult, 1st deciding to leave and then worrying ( because you really care) what it will be like when you have gone. They will sink or swim, but that is out of your control, so please don't let this control your thoughts and feelings now. You deserve some fun. :D

Peggy

Forgotten to do any plans? :o Perhaps she has thought all along that these things just materialise when she walks in through the front door and was amazed that they didn't. You have to feel sorry for her really.......... xD:(

Thanks for the hugs and good wishes, I've been with my old deputy tonight and after ranting and demonstraing just how gob smacked I am, I'm now smiling and all sign of rocking and dribbling are banished...until tomorrow :o

An update... came in to no activity plans, but she had bought in the med plans. I saw them quite by accident in the planning folder. They are really good. Full of fresh ideas that link really well into loads areas. Last year when she did planning for a term nothing arrived and even now the folder has a blank area, but this was great, more so because it was totally unexpected. I havent spoken to her yet, as she didnt actualy show them to me, but I am now officially, on the world wide web, taking back every bad thougt I had about her yesterday. I've worked with her for about 2 yrs so have no doubt I'll think those thoughts again, but for now I am suitably humbled :o

Guest Tracey F

Call me cynical but....

did you find where she dowloaded them from? :o

Hi Rea

Don't be too hard on yourself: and anyway it takes a big person to admit they were wrong. (If indeed you were wrong and Tracey F is not so cynical after all!).

Could it be that she's feeling a bit unconfident, having such a hard act to follow? Perhaps she didn't feel her plans were up to your usual standard!

A few words of encouragement from you may do wonders!

Maz