Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Supply Cover In Reception

Hi All,

Does anyone now if this is correct?

At my daughter's school she is in a Reception class of 30, which includes 6 year ones.

The teacher has been attending a lot of courses and meetings and the class are being looked after by the LSA who is excellent, qualified to NVQ 2 I think . The second adult drafted in is always one of the SMSA's who have no qualification.

Is that okay for 30 children to be with no-one who is qualified to level 3 or above?

No, no, no, no, no!!!

This was what the unions were worried about when the whole cover teacher/teaching assistant thing came in.

I think the rule is at a minimum a qualified HLTA. I will go and look it up and get back to you, but I'm sure someone else will post an answer too.

Also, Reception class should legally be maximum of 27, only reason to go above this is where there have been successful appeals.

A reception class is covered by the infant class size legislation so it can go up to 30 with one teacher, which is the same as KS1. Some go over 30 on appeals but there has to be a reason 'in law' to allow this, and really it shouldn't happen.

I've been trying to find chapter and verse re PPA etc. and I know we've discussed this before somewhere. I am pretty sure it has to be a Level 3 in reception covering for PPA and occasional absences, courses etc. but it doesn't have to be an HLTA, just someone who has the ' appropriate qualifications, knowledge and skills' in the judgement of the Head teacher! Someone will come along with chapter and verse soon I'm sure.

Sorry not sure where I got 27 from, obviously wishful thinking!!

I've also been trying to find definitive answer on the cover thing. I can find something that says it should normally be HLTA or 'cover supervisor', but as with most of these things it's hard to find definitive answer.

It still sounds totally wrong to me!

I work in a school as a nursery nurse and as far as I understand it level 3 TA's or equivalent can cover for short absences if they have access to the teacher's planning ie. a cover supervising role. Active teaching/ longer absence cover can only be carried out by staff holding a level 4 qualification.

I cover for our team's PPA, illness, courses and meetings but always have access to their planning. Cover in our school is now monitored so that support staff do not do too much. We have no level 4 TA's.

Edited by Guest

I've found it. Who can take the class is in Appendix A I don't think it has changed or has it?

http://media.education.gov.uk/assets/files...iancesept08.pdf

Hi JacquieL, I just wondered where you found this, I'd like to share it with a parent who has concerns about her son's school but the website said I wasn't allowed access. I can download it as pdf but what's the name of the document so she can quote it if necessary?

Many thanks

Sue bear

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)