Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Class Sizes

I wonder if anyone out there can inform me what maximum class size is for Reception and Year 1. There is some concern amongst staff in our school, as we are unlikely to meet our intake number for September, which could result in staff having to change year- group.

Many thanks

Class size initiative states that no child under 7 shall be in a class of more than 30.

Schools seem to be funded for one teacher for every 30 pupils, at least in this LEA.

29137[/snapback]

Class size initiative states that no child under 7 shall be in a class of more than 30.

Schools seem to be funded for one teacher for every 30 pupils, at least in this LEA.

29137[/snapback]

29138[/snapback]

29137[/snapback]

29138[/snapback]

Many thanks Susan.

We're keeping our fingers crossed that numbers increase before our Head has to make the decision on the number of Reception classes to have next year. Our new intake Parents Meeting takes place in May.

Has anyone else out there got concerns about falling numbers of admissions in Reception?

Cheers!!!

Whoops messed up when making my reply! (see above). Not brilliant working with computer. Getting interactive whiteboard tomorrow in classroom. Goodness knows how I'll get along with it!

Wish me luck!

Has anyone else out there got concerns about falling numbers of admissions in Reception?

29140[/snapback]

I think falling admission numbers is fairly widespread and could be a serious problem in some areas in the long-term. In my school we only had enough children for one YR class last year and have two small classes this year (too many for one class!). At the moment we are surviving but money is tight - and getting tighter (the plug has been pulled on the money we receive on the basis of number of children on free school meals because our results are so good xD ). I think this is known as penalising us for doing a good job :o Bizarre or what?

Cant be more than 30 but I believe that some schools are finding a 'loop hole' in this by putting older children in other year/class groups for registration for example so that they are not officially ' on the books'

We too are suffering falling numbers. It is a concern!

• 2 weeks later...

I have had the luxury of a reception class of 17 this year (to be 19 by next week!), but only 12 due for September. We are planning to have a mixed Y2/Y1 with the most 'mature/academically and socially ready' children and a mixed reception/Y1 class. Both classes will probably be in the mid-20's. Starting to try to get my head round the planning. I have found the Forum really useful to pick up tips and am beginning to get addicted!

Marie

I have 21 in my class at the moment (reception) but the school is using me to cover the fact we don't have a nursery techer so our numbers shouldn't go over 30, I think we have 35 at the moment (including nursery in a morning or afternoon) and nursery is still filling up! What would happen if sombody added up the numbers and realised we're over?

I think it also depends on where you are in the country - where I am we have 90 children in reception (3 classes of 30!) with children on waiting lists - one boy moved from my class and was replaced 2 days later! I personally think 30 is too much although I know where peoples worries are coming from - I hae a friend in East Sussex who is only taking 12 yrR's next year (is a mixed year group class)

We have had 3 reception classes of 25 this year, however we only have 57 names down for this coming September.

We are all very worried as it is looking like we will have 2 reception classes next year with a mixed R/1 class.

Looks like one teacher is going to have to move to juniors causing lots of bad-feeling once again.

Still, I suppose it is better than job-losses! I know of some schools in our area where redundancies are a possibility.

I am keeping my fingers crossed that it is not me on the move out of the department.

:D I have 20 children at the moment and I work in a small school...I have just been told that if the children who have gone to appeal get in I will have 29! I will have the largest class by far in the school! :oxD:(:(:( :wacko: xD

curiously I was in a training where they cited research that showed that it is only when numbers get below 16 that it really makes a difference to children in terms of class size. Can't remember who did research right now. More than that it ws the same impact whatever the number apparently.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)