Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Any Advice Will Be Gratefully Received

Hello we have got a little boy in our setting who is 3 and half and i need abit of advice or ideas on how to deal with his behaviour , he constantly takes toys off the other children,he will hit out at other children and staff,i f he cant get is own way he will just stand and scream which will last about 5mins ,struggles to even sit for a few mins for circle time he will constantly call out or talk about something very random and will keep repeating himself,doesnt interact with other children for the exception of one other child. We do remind him about kind hands ,sharing , turn taking etc any advice would be great.

Hi there

Has he only just started with you? Does he have any records from previous settings? If so can you get permision to contact them do you think? If he has come from another group do you know why he left? i would advise to set up a meeting with parents to have a settling in chat and talk about what he likes to do and what his next steps are this gives you opportunity to ask questions such as who does he play with at h0me? is he used to mixing with other children? As a starter anyhow

Andrea

he has been with us for a year now but the behaviour has only just stared to get worse the last few weeks ,a new baby in the family could well be the reason , i just feel everything i am trying doesnt seem to work ,my experience in behaviour management isnt great,any further advice would be grateful. thank you.

Presumably when he stands and screams you are ignoring him completely? If not that would be my advice since this is often an attention seeking behaviour. When you say he constantly repeats himself could you elaborate a bit more? Do you think he is doing this just for attention (ie at home he goes on and on until someone pays attention) or do you think this might be indicative of something not quite right with his development? What sorts of things is he repeating and when?

Yes i do ignore is screaming which he does not like at all but have spoken to parents and they also ignore the screaming , the repeating constantly im not sure if its attention seeking or not ,he will repeat things over and over again even if you do answer him example "he will say i had a party, you came to my party ,so so came to my party" his party was months ago but he will come out with these things very randomly and will have to reat himself till every person answers him,the more im writing the more im thinking maybe it is attention seeking. any suggestions on how to tackle attention seeking?

Susan any reason why you think it more than behaviour management?

I would also like to add that your all sure lovely people on here and give great advice to people like me who sometimes need it.

I second Susan's feelings. You need to try to work out what is going on from his point of view that means he needs to demand this attention.

Does he desire attention because he's in a room full of people he doesn't understand and therefore feels unsafe and anxious?

Is the environment too loud and busy for him?

Does he misunderstand the social cues about when it is appropriate to speak?

Does he struggle to find the language to express his desire for a turn with the toys?

Is he too overwhelmed by his emotions to be able to express them more conventionally?

If he already had some difficulties they may have been made worse by the changes at home cause by the baby's arrival.

I'm not trying to fit his behaviour to a diagnosis but perhaps it can be explains by something other than pure attention seeking. Whatever it is he doesn't sound very happy.

i will be watching this thread with interest as we have a very similar little girl in my setting,

we also have the repeating of phrases or questions (she never seems interested in the response or answer they get)

she also cannot sit for more than a few seconds, and their attention whilst sitting is usually elsewhere

attention in general is very sporadic, she will 'flit' for most of free play, then will become easily distracted when asked to do anything 'structured' such as registration, snack, toilet,tidy up etc

their general behaviour appears to be developmentally below what we would of expected of a child of a similar age etc.

i also have a 'feeling' that something isnt as it should be (if that makes sense) but i cant put my finger on it !

we have someone from the family centre coming out to give us advice in the next week or so.

i will be watching this thread with interest as we have a very similar little girl in my setting,

we also have the repeating of phrases or questions (she never seems interested in the response or answer they get)

she also cannot sit for more than a few seconds, and their attention whilst sitting is usually elsewhere

attention in general is very sporadic, she will 'flit' for most of free play, then will become easily distracted when asked to do anything 'structured' such as registration, snack, toilet,tidy up etc

their general behaviour appears to be developmentally below what we would of expected of a child of a similar age etc.

i also have a 'feeling' that something isnt as it should be (if that makes sense) but i cant put my finger on it !

we have someone from the family centre coming out to give us advice in the next week or so.

The behaviour has always been a little testing but the last few weeks it has got alot worse,im not sure where to go next , do i speak to parents first or talk to area senco for advice , i am fairly new to my role of senco .

I agree with Susan, I teach at an SEN school and my class are all autistic and your description of this child does sound very familiar to me!

This might sound like an odd suggestion because it doesn't appear to directly relate to his problem behaviours but have you tried using a visual timetable with him? I've seen countless behaviour issues disappear just by using these.

Most of the children in my class started in other, non-asd, classes and displayed various terrible behaviours. The main difference between my room and the other classrooms is the timetables and we have very few behaviour issues in our room.

How is his communication? If he has problems with this then he might be getting frustrated (as upsy daisy suggested) and that could be a cause of his violence towards others. PECS could maybe help with this if it is the case.

If you want any more info about either of these ideas, let me know and I'll go into more detail,

Good luck! xx

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)