Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Good News Re:play For Y1

After spending most of the last two terms planning to make Year 1 a transition year from FS to KS1, I found out today that the LEA wants to meet with me to talk about funding us to run as a pilot scheme for them! At last someone with a bit of nonce seems to have taken notice and not a moment too soon! Sorry to go on about this but I'm just so pleased I'm finally going to be able to have a goat making a difference - I don't think the fact that it will probably come with a pile of extra paperwork has sunk in yet - I had to tell someone who would appreciate it :)

Brilliant news.

Good luck!!

As you know I'm really interested in this and when I get some brain poer back,I'll let you know what we're doing in our school-which is causing alot of interest among other local schools.

My visit yo QCA encouraged us to take the plunge.

I've been trying to work with yr1 to set them up as playbased classrooms as of tomorrow and with my own Foundation team ready to go---mostly home visits for the next few days but children will arrive all too soon!

School is in chaos as we're in the middle of a major rebuilding programme, so nowhere to store anything and everything everywhere.

New deputy head to talk to too, when was the holiday? I need another one to recover from today!!

Will get back to you, though.

Susan

• 2 weeks later...

I will be interested to see how this forum progresses - I need all the help I can as I have a Reception year 1 year 2 class! At the moment only 2 very bright Reception children. the temptation is to integrate them in with the year 1's but i am sure that with abit of careful planning I could involve all my class in play based activities but there is so much to think about and get covered particularly with the Y2's with SAT's etc. help!

Hi Lincoo and welcome :)

Three year groups in one class, wow! How many children do you have, and how much TA time? It's great that you're planning play-based stuff for the Y1 and 2; they're going to have a brilliant year with you :D

What an interesting mix of children. I agree with Helen. You have a wonderful opportunity here, if you resist the temptation to force the Yr Rs into acKS1 model, you could instead use the best of the FS to enhance the learning experiences of the Yr 1 & 2 children.

Let us know how it goes! I imagine it's very challenging, but very exciting too!

Hi Tamara,

That sounds like wonderful news, and I'm sure music to everyone's ears. I heard about pilot studies going ahead in the Excellence and Enjoyment document that came out this summer (or was it spring) but you are the first person I've heard of that has actually trialing it. Please will you keep us updated on information? As an adviser and as a mum with a child who has just gone into year one (August birthday as well!), I despair at how quickly some schools become formal. Any information which may give Key Stage 1 teachers the confidence to have more flexible play-based learning would be well received! :)

Thanks Candy

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)