Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Do You Observe And Plan From Observations?

Hi, I am interested in getting into work in Children's centres and have been volunteering in one for the past few months. I have also visited many around my area, but they all seem to be completely different and so I am getting a bit confused. I have worked in a variety of childcare and education settings over the last 15 years and have a good knowledge of EYFS and planning to meet children's individual needs.

Some of the children's centres I have visited seem to be like a nursery/preschool/classroom having activities for each area eg water tray, sand, dough, writing area etc - which seem to be decided by what they have observed from children who attend regularly - this is what I had expected to see. But others seem to put out similar toys each week and engage more with the parents than the children.

I am not sure what is the norm, and what the remit is - what would Ofsted be looking for? I just love being in the children's centres but am trying to get my head round it all as it is so different to what I have been used to.

I would be grateful for any help : :o

I cant help with your question as I have no CC experience but from what I have gleaned, each CC will vary depending on the need that has been perceived to build it so I am not surprised by the differences that you say you are finding.

Hi sunbeam. It sounds like there may be different groups happening that you are observing and this will affect the way they are planned for. Your groups based on chidlren interests may be some kind of childcare, whereas your groups with the parent focus may be more of the 'stay and play' type. This would have a different aim. Im only guessing from what you have said, so I might be barking up the wrong tree.

In my experiencea parents needs can be met partiularly well if chilren have good equipment and resources to play with which will keep them occupied and engaged.

I too visit many childrens centres and find input for children varies. This is usually down to the centre management and understanding of EYFS. A lot of the sessions are run by outreach workers or managers who have severe time constraints and who may not know about EYFS and the benefits of an enabling environment for children. I am still horrified to see colouring in templates everywhere.

Yes each childrens centre is different, find out if the outreach or those running the sessions know about EYFS and could perhaps incorporate this within the parent sessions to ensure childrens needs are fully met.

Thankyou for your replies, they have set cleared up a few things for me. Children's centres are such a new area for me and it has been very difficult to get my head around it all.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)