Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Refunding Nvq Fees

Guest jenpercy

Guest jenpercy

now that subsidised NVQs for over 25s are disappearing - have you ever had a clause about repayment if leaving, or have you given staff incentives over time for those in training etc

we always has an addition to the contact when we paid for things like this...

an agreement that the staff member would stay at least 1 year after the end of the training.. or pay back the full amount...

we did not do any percentage repayment as I know some do...never had to use it as the staff tended to stay..

In reality it would depend on reason why leaving as well... if it was out of their control.. eg moving out of area because of OH work... we may not have insisted..

Inge

Guest jenpercy
we always has an addition to the contact when we paid for things like this...

an agreement that the staff member would stay at least 1 year after the end of the training.. or pay back the full amount...

we did not do any percentage repayment as I know some do...never had to use it as the staff tended to stay..

In reality it would depend on reason why leaving as well... if it was out of their control.. eg moving out of area because of OH work... we may not have insisted..

Inge

The only way to get money back if they leave would probably be small claims court - so i don't think it is actually workable. When we were allowed to have supervisory staff working towards, I was paying for NVQ for a woman who got 50p an hour less than the other sullervisors until fully qualified. She walked out without giving notice when sh found this out (Wages were confidential at this time). luckily I was able to cancel the NVQ as my name was on contract to pay.

We have had a policy like thi sin place for a number of years but only had to invoke it once. We actually had two staff leave part way through their training/just after it but as one was advised to leave due to health problems we dd not pursue the "clawback". With the other one we pointed out on her resignation that she had signed a paper to agree to repay the costs if she left within x months of completing and she did look aghast at first. She went home and wrote back to us asking to repay it over six months which we agreed to and it was all paid back. I felt at the time she took advice on the legality of the agreement but I couldn't be sure about that. It wouldn't have been worthwhile for us to have pursued it through the small claims court but I'm glad we had it in place, as it possibly created a moral agreement for this person if nothing else.