Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Initial Assessments Query

I have just finished initial assessments and have been asked to give Ages and Stages for each child and which points I have awarded for profile. I have a mix of children on 30-50 and 40-60 and have scored all children as having at least point 1 on profile. A teacher at another school has said that I must have some children not scoring on the profile at all - and some children on 22-36 months for development matters. I'm now wondering if I've given points when I shouldn't. I've not really used Ages and stages before so I'd love some advice.

Has everyone else got children in the 22-36 month stage - and not scoring at all on the profile? I don't work in a leafy suburb and have some lowish ability children, but reading the descriptions of 22-36 months seem well within their reach.

I would suggest that you know the range of abilities in your class, if you are confident where their abilities lie then you should stick by that. I wouldn't say that any of the children in my class this year are coming in at 22-36months, some are low ability but like you say, the statements for this band seem well within their comfort zone.

I can't understand how a teacher at another school who doesn't know the children could possibly tell you how you should 'score' them!

Hope to have helped....although I'm sure someone super helpful will be along soon!

lucie

Thanks for that Lucie. I'm sure they're not working at below 3years. Have you scored all your children on at least point 1 of the profile? Just getting really hung up on this and didn't sleep at all last night :o Feeling quite sick and headachy!!

Thanks for that Lucie. I'm sure they're not working at below 3years. Have you scored all your children on at least point 1 of the profile? Just getting really hung up on this and didn't sleep at all last night :o Feeling quite sick and headachy!!

Hi there

I am actually working with the 'summer borns' as our feeder school currently operates 2 point entry system and these children will not start full time with the school until January. We are a partnership foundation stage unit currently from 2 different buildings, but are fortunate that those from our preschool due to start in january can use a classroom part time in the school for this term with me and my preschool staff. Anyway, I normally only use ages and stages for preschool, but have been looking at the profile points along with the teaching staff who have been scoring their in take of full timers. I have scored all my 16 children at least one profile point apart from one child, who I don't feel I can score on PSED yet. I find it strange that someone who doesn't know your children says you must have children scoring at certain levels? If I hadn't felt it appropriate I wouldn't have even refered to the profile points, but I knew from previous assessments that most of my group would be able to score at least 1.

HTH

Clare

I have several children that have scored no points on the profile and are in the 22-36month band in age. totting up the total profile points for each child, one has scored 8, one 12 and one 10. these are really low scores. I have on the other extreme got two children with 30+ points, but these are really quite exceptional children.

Having been on a course recently it became quite apparent that many teachers feel under pressure with these assessments. One lady had submitted her initial points to her Head and because they were high was asked to re submit them! basically the head wanted to be able to say these children had advanced well and wanted a low start point. She might have well as made them up!

I am also under pressure! I had to do my initial profile points in the first two weeks of term and have them on the system at the end of that period. My County advice said this is not right....the assessments should be just before half term. My assessments are low in some areas because the children were still settling in and we not ready to show us what they could do!

We were also told on this course that these profile points could not be used to set targets for us in performance management....i bet lots of us (including me) have had them set with the points in mind!

My answer to you is that you know your children, you have tried to judge them as best you can. don't loose sleep. your judgment must stand, professional judgment that is!

I have two children in my class who have not scored any points in writing as yet. Neither child uses any form of emergent writing during their self chosen activities.

A teacher at another school has said that I must have some children not scoring on the profile at all - and some children on 22-36 months for development matters.

What do they know of your children!!

National expectations for 3 year olds = entering secure in 22 - 36 and emerging 30 - 50.

National expectations for reception = secure 30 - 50, emerging 40 - 60+

End of reception = secure in ELGs ie 6+ points etc etc.

The scale points 1 - 3 would sit roughly across the 30 - 50/emerging 40 - 60+ range, with the 4 - 8 points showing security in the 4 - 60+ as both at this point are linked directly to the ELGs.

You cannot do a precise match across but you can look at the developmental pitch of the two. But unless secure in an element of EYFS ie at ELGs then no points 4 - 8.

Cx

ages_stages_2.doc

Thanks for those comments. I have another query re Development Matters. Do you have to highlight all things for one stage before you move onto the next or is it more of a best fit. There are lots of children who are missing a couple of elements of 30-50 months, but have some 40-60 months highlighted. If they're well on their way I have put them as being 40-60 months. I know I should probably know this, but I'm so confused at the moment.

It's a description of the typical milestones a child may display in that stage of development, but is clearly not exhaustive so no.

You might want to consider using emerging to secure as gradients within a stage??

It's the bit about it not being a checklist on page something or other!!!

Cx

Edited by catma

Thanks Catma for the Ages and Stages document; I like the way it's set out - really easy to use. Just another query. When collecting assessment evidence in Learning Journey, do you think it is it best to document evidence against age bands or ELG's where there is overlap. My LA requires on-entry profile data so have been using mainly profile points. Have also made best fit age bands assessments but am concerned that I do not have evidence to back up these judgements. Sorry, feel like I should already know the answer to this.

If you are looking at summative outcomes it's really one and the same thing...EYFSP scale points are part of the ages/stages and vice versa. I tend to recommend using one of them but not necessarily both in reception as it is duplication. Your evidence don't forget is everything recorded and unrecorded that you know about the child!

Cx

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)