Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Diversity

Hi i am new to the Forum and this is the first time i have added a topic. I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on how to promote and show diversity throughout the nursery in a non tokenistic way?

thanks

Katherine :o

Edited by Guest

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Diversity enriches our experiences, and is embedded in all that we do in our setting, it helps us become good citizens and promotes a sense of community. So how do we try to make it happen.

Although we do explore Festivals, Celebrations etc throughout the year, we decided some time ago that we would choose a country from around the world each half-term and explore all the similarities and differences that make us all so special. This could be languages, climate, foods, clothing, animals, stories, songs, homes, musical instruments, with pictures, posters, books, maps, art and objects.

We also look at our local community and share and celebrate throughout the year, this could be Harvest Festival and giving gifts to others, taking part in our local carnival,a Christingle service at our local church. or a funday. We look at the people that help us such as the Fire service, Police service, Ambulance service and arrange for them to visit.

We also work hard as a team, to respect eachothers strengths and weaknesses and give support if required. We value each family, and promote an environment that is open to all.

Not sure i have put it down well on paper but hope you get the gist.

:o

Edited by bridger

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)