Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Retrospective Planning

I came across this quote from a book by the people who wrote 'Birth to three matters' which actually agrees some planning can be written retrospectively rather than in advance. Take heart Peggy and others-the tide may be slowly turning at last!

‘We would argue that planning for young children should be flexible-should flow with the child and may often be written retrospectively to describe and reflect on how what was planned followed a particular ‘avenue of exploration’ since the purpose of planning for babies and young children is not the demonstration of a particular practitioner’s skill at crystal ball gazing. Rather, it is an endeavour to project into how any child might be expected to engage with materials, activities and experiences through the involvement of a skilful and sensitive adult.’

Lesley Abbott and Ann Langston 2005 Birth to three matters Open University Press

Thanks for that Deb W,

I have printed it out and will stick it on the front of ALL my planning books on Monday morning.

It is they way I've worked for years, the only thing is the children go off on so many tangents that I have never really been able to fully write down all their experiences and learning. Thus, inspectors don't see the immense opportunities they have experienced over time.

Peggy

I haven't managed to get on the Birth to Three training in our borough, but I was in a Sure Start children's centre recently and they have an A3 matrix which they fill in as the day progresses to show what each of the children have done and how they meet the Birth to Three aspects - Skilfull communicator, Strong child etc.

Much easier to keep track of, and it provides a snapshot of what happened during the session.

We've requested places on this term's Birth to Three training. Hope we'll get on it, but I'm not holding my breath!

Maz

Peggy

It is one of my greatest concerns that ,like you , our written planning does not reflect all the wonderful that our children do and experience every day theycome to nursery. Short of having video cameras set up everywhere to capture everything that happens I don't quite know the best solution.

Oscar,

At a guess I have 3,000 digital pictures now stored on 2 computors and numerous CD's, each parent is given a CD full of pictures showing their child's preschool experience when they move on to school. I now print a selection on A4 label paper, I cut and stick these in my planning books. ( I make these myself, ring binded, one page shows plan, one page shows written evaluation of the session and one page with photo's. Although it does take a bit of time ( and I had to buy a laser printer because ink cartridges are too expensive) they are good to look back on, to inform future planning but most important it really shows how very much we do and how much the children enjoy it. I don't know if it will be enough "Evidence" for Ofsted, only time will tell.

Peggy

p.s. I have got a data protection / computor policy, but don't ask for a copy it's still in my head :o

Peggy I love your idea of printing pictures onto labels and the CD for each child What great ideas. I have been using a whole A4 sheet with small picture with evidence towards relevent goals I think I will adopt your idea from now on. I know how to do labels but does any one know why my printing doesn't stay within the boundary of the label - I am using the correct code number?

When we have a special activity I print off a collage of pictures for the group - parents can buy them at £2 for an A4 photo. This way parents can also have a record of the activity and I make sure everyone is in the picture somewhere.

Mimi,

I buy A4 size labels from Viking, this means I don't have to fit to a particular label size, I just print as if I would a normal sheet and cut and stick photo's wherever needed :D

Peggy

Mimi, Do many parents buy your pictures? ( great idea) it would certainly help to cover my printing costs, and possibly raise some funds as well. :D

Peggy

Peggy

It depends on the group of parents - some parents want a copy of everything, this is why I started doing a collage rather than 2 copies of No6 - 4copies of No 5 I use a simple photo programme slap together 8 - 15 pictures together - children then have photos of their friends as well.

We used to find trying to take a large group picture difficult - people away - not looking at camera - snotty nose. Small groups collaged together looks great, we make enough funds to cover the costs of all nursery printing each term - this includes printing pictures off the internet for making games and topic resources, and pays for all the cooking items.

Sl;ightly off track, I gave the children use of my digital camera the other day, securely wrapped around their wrists. Set it to display (although many tried to look in the "square" with one eye). I set them off to take a picture of;

1. Their favourite "Toy", play area, equipment.

2. Their favourite playmate of the day, and

3 Their favourite "Teacher" "grown-up" "Lady" ( what do you call yourselves to the children? :o )

The results were great, the children loved it, We had a few "posers" following the camera around with whoever had it :D ( including staff :D:D )

I downloaded the pics onto my laptop and they "SAT STILL" for over 15 mins, as a group, looking at them all. They were great at "working out" what some of the obscure pics were, ie: close up of the rocking horses nose :D .

A good insight into the "Childs eye view" of the setting, and I shall be entering some into the Nursery World "What I like about preschool" photo competition.

Peggy

p.s. On topic, this was not a planned activity, just an extension of one childs interest in the "play camera" ( which had been ignored as a resource available for a few weeks).

Retrospective, or what :D ( and pics to prove it)

Peggy

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)