Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Shift Workers And Bookings

Hi

Following on from my other thread abouit late bookings how do other clubs keep spaces available for those that do not know what nights childcare they need due to shift patterns?

I am wanting to take the school club to regular bookings without parents having to re-book their sessions every month. We are nearly full every night except fri. At the moment priority in getting a session is given to those that have used the club the longest ie if yr 6 child suddenly wants a tues but we are full then a reception child will lose their place. Seems ridiculous to me and unfair. This does rarely happen but it could. Plus as a parent i find it unsettling that one month i may lose some of my sessions.

I am going to ask the committee member who does the bookings exactly how many parents actually book different days every month.

Its all very confusing..if someone could explain how they do it?

Thanks

Hi Marley,

Our clubs are almost full every day and we take bookings on a long term basis with half terms notice required if a place is no longer needed.

If we have space we take ad hoc bookings e.g if a parent needs a session as a one off and someone is on holiday or we have a space then we take the booking.

It is really difficult for Parents that work shifts but if we have space we will take their booking until someone wants the space on a full time basis then we will always give the original parent first option.

Although it seems hard it ensures we run a viable service.

Does that help or have i confused you even more?

Biker

Hi Marley,

Our clubs are almost full every day and we take bookings on a long term basis with half terms notice required if a place is no longer needed.

If we have space we take ad hoc bookings e.g if a parent needs a session as a one off and someone is on holiday or we have a space then we take the booking.

It is really difficult for Parents that work shifts but if we have space we will take their booking until someone wants the space on a full time basis then we will always give the original parent first option.

Although it seems hard it ensures we run a viable service.

Does that help or have i confused you even more?

Biker

Hi Biker

Thanks for that! I must admit yours and Jens way makes more sense to me! Will have to see what the other committee members say! I know 2 present (new) committee members have fallen victim to the way we currently do it as their children in rec lost a place one week...this lead to a confrontation with the committee member who does the bookings who insisted that this was the way it was done! This was probably the reason why those 2 came on the committee to be honest. I just wonder what the rest of them think. All i can see that would lose out on your way is the shift workers...staff would have less hassle with late booking forms to sort out, parents would be guaranteed their sessions and not sweat it every month etc etc Only other issue would be getting payment. At the moment they put in their booking forms and pay at the same time,,,how do you get their money? Do you have to do invoices?

Hi Marley,

You are right ,the down side is less flexibility for shift workers ,up side everyone knowing where they stand and you know exactly what numbers of children are booked so are able to plan ahead.

We (Thank goodness)have an admin assistant who invoices on a half termly basis with extra ad hoc sessions being invoiced for as and when they happen.

We also have plans for parents to play weekly/monthly if that helps and often they pay by direct debit straight into bank!

How do you collect fees at moment?

Biker

All by cash and cheque to the committee member who does the bookings...it all the late bookings cheques and ad hoc monies hanging around that i also dont like.

I've not used an after school club (as younger son's school doesn't have one & elder son comes home not too long before me), but we do use our childminder on different days each week according to husband's shifts. Our agreement with the childminder is that we pay the full rate when she has son, plus any costs eg petrol money, and half hourly rate when she doesn't have him.

This means she keeps a space for son when hubby is getting son from school and gets half pay for it - and we have the space garaunteed for son and only pay half for it...

I know hubby's shift pattern for the year, so it's easy for us to work out when childminder will be needed to have son & when not. Could you start something like that for shift workers?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)