Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

County Inspectors Visiting On 5th Nov - Help

Can anyone help? I am in a panic about this visit on Friday and was thinking of talking to the children tomorrow about bonfire night/fireworks and seeing if this would excite them as a mini topic - maybe leading to Divali the week after. Before half term they were very into making rockets in our workshop so I thought this would be good to build on. I have found lots of lovely ideas on this forum but I am not sure what to do on Friday. I thought I could turn the workshop into a firework factory.

Numbers and calculating were weaker last year so thought maybe the adult led activity could focus on this but as it is a Friday I want to really grab the children's attention with something exciting. I wondered about making film cannister rockets and measuring how far they travel but this isn't really calculating.

Does anyone have any inspired ideas for an activity linked with fireworks but focussing on calculation?

Thanks

It might be helpful to consider the following - What is the previous learning that will be planned for during the week and what's it building on from before....equally where is it going! What pitch are your children operating at in calculation? What is the next step that you are supporting? How does that fit into your half term planned outcomes from your adult directed input or from your adjustments to your learning environment?

With that in mind then the activity will be better targeted at pupil progress rather than simply doing something for the sake of doing it. In my experience it is easy to pick up on the fact that activities are too easy or too hard because the practitioner focus has been on the children doing something rather than the learning they want to take place because of the activity!

Cx

Thanks for the reply but now I have so many more questions rushing around my head. Could you post an example of your planning so I can see how it works - especially the 'half term planned outcomes from your adult directed input or from your adjustments to your learning environment'. I think I do plan from where the children are but whether this reflected in my planning is another matter.

Hi, those rockets that you stamp on with your foot could be useful for calcuating (kind of air rockets, I got one from early learning centre a few years back). You could do some kind of measurement of how high they go based on how heavy the person stamping is. Not sure if that helps, but good luck with it!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)